Rumble Strutting In Sows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chessles

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi, I have 2 sows. I don't know how old they are but I know they have been a pair for at least eighteen months. I have had them for around 8 weeks. I have noticed they rumble at each other quite a lot. Is this normal for girls? I was under the impression it was a boy thing...

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
hi, I have 2 sows. I don't know how old they are but I know they have been a pair for at least eighteen months. I have had them for around 8 weeks. I have noticed they rumble at each other quite a lot. Is this normal for girls? I was under the impression it was a boy thing...
No, rumbling is also a sow thing, espcially when they are in season.
Older sows (from about 18 months onwards) can also develop hormonal issues/ovarian cysts, which often manifest in sows being pretty constantly in season. The cysts causing this behaviour are often rather small. However, you can have them checked by a piggy savvy vet. There is now hormone therapy (cholrulon injections) possible as an alternative to a full spaying operation if things get worse.

Chessles

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Excellent, thank you! I'll keep my eye on them and get them checked out if it doesn't stop soon :)

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
No, girls do it too. It's dominance behavior and also can be a product of hormones and more noticeable when one of them is in heat. My dominant pig will rumblestrut around sometimes.... just making sure she shows how tough she is, I guess!

Status
Not open for further replies.