Run Away Guinea Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wendy Tyler

New Born Pup
Reaction score
After a difficult start my girls and I have all got used to picking up and handling the guinea pigs and they don't usually mind. We put their run alongside of their cage and they were able to jump form one to the other, but unfortunately this gave the larger of the two the idea that she could jump so she jumps right out of the run too! She has also started biting my daughter (the older and gentler of my two girls, not the one who probably deserves biting!) I'm not sure how to keep her happy now. She seems like a guinea pig who wants more!

This is our run:

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/product_review.asp?dept_id=5868&pf_id=8019

Any better ones that you can suggest? We also will need one for the garden soon.

PiggySmitten

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Depending on your budget and preferences there is this option for outdoors http://www.rabbit-hutches.co.uk/large-rabbit-run.htm
I've got one of these and am really happy with the size of it for the price. It concertinas together which means it is easy to put away or move around. After a whole summer of use, the hinges on the lid started to come off but it looks like it will be as simple as screwing them back on to fix.

I've also got a metal 8 panels that join together type run for outdoors which is the complete opposite of the price spectrum (very cheap). It does just as good a job but isn't as big. I also find it more of a pain when I want to move it around as i have to separate all the panels and then put them in again. It's just slightly less convenient than the other. The fabric sun cover is also not quite as effective in protecting against anything else getting into the run so I don't feel safe leaving piggies in it while we are out.

Goth Mummy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We have one of those runs that you posted the details of, I cant imagine that they will keep anything in. I got mine as it was reduced to about £4 in the pet shop and I used the mesh for making a bin cage for a hamster. I would not worry that your guinea pig jumps over, all mine would if I used that run. The hamsters just climb over them - I have no idea what they are actually designed to keep in!

I'm sorry that your daughter is getting bitten - how and when is it happening?

Status
Not open for further replies.