Run free Milan

Sian25

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Milan sadly gained his angel wings on Sunday night. It's been a devastating few days dealing with the upset alongside the feelings of guilt after reflecting on everything that happened in the 24 hours that Milan got sick.

Enjoy unlimited grass and cosy beds at the rainbow bridge my little man and just know that everything I did was what I believed to be in your best interests at the time 💔

Attachments

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Milan had a fabulous life with you. I remember his back story and the huge efforts you went to for him and Hugo, and then finding him the lovely Effie. It’s heartbreaking when they go, but it shows how well they were loved.
Popcorn free Milan xx

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I am so sorry you have lost Milan, sending you big hugs at this awful time
Sleep tight little man x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Milan sadly gained his angel wings on Sunday night. It's been a devastating few days dealing with the upset alongside the feelings of guilt after reflecting on everything that happened in the 24 hours that Milan got sick.

Enjoy unlimited grass and cosy beds at the rainbow bridge my little man and just know that everything I did was what I believed to be in your best interests at the time 💔
I am very sorry; piggies can go downhill extremely quickly with you being always two steps behind. :(

Please be aware that it is very normal to have strong feelings of guilt and to soul search for any mistakes in yourself first and foremost. We all experience this to some extent or other, but often more strongly after an unexpected death or an emergency that didn't work out.

Please take the time to read this guide here. You will hopefully find it helpful in understanding your emotions and the experiences you are going through now and in the coming days and weeks. Human Bereavement - Grieving, coping tips and support links for guinea pig owners and their children

Here is what you can do for Effie: Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig

I am very sorry about Milan, but you have done so well to give him such a happy life after his botched neutering op and scandalous vet care. Be proud of that!

eileen

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss,you gave the best care.i also remember the awful time you had with neutering your boys.you have given your piggies, unconditional love and the best home. :hug:

YvonneBlue

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss. Milan had a wonderful life with you. :hug:RIP little fella. 🐾🌈

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I am hugely sorry for you loss, the feelings of guilt are unreasonable and unfair. Milan has the most loving life with you please remember that, sometimes no matter what we try we can’t save them. Massive hugs to you

Sleep well little one

RIP Milan
x x

Merab's Slave

Forum Buddy
Reaction score
So very sorry to hear this news.
You gave Milan such a wonderful life and that is something you can hold onto.
Guilt is a normal part of grieving but will pass.
Be gentle, kind and forgiving with yourself as you grieve

Sian25

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone. I guess the part that I most struggling with is that Milan died alone. I knew he was ill, but I think I was naive and didnt realise quite how ill he was- I didn't think he would die that night. I had set alarms every 2 hours for syringe feeding, but he had passed away when I got up to the first alarm. The guilt is awful and in hindsight, I wish I would have pts during the morning emergency vet appointment as his last day wouldnt have been the most pleasant for him, but I had hope that the antibiotics would soon kick in and he would pull through :soz: miss him dearly

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you so much everyone. I guess the part that I most struggling with is that Milan died alone. I knew he was ill, but I think I was naive and didnt realise quite how ill he was- I didn't think he would die that night. I had set alarms every 2 hours for syringe feeding, but he had passed away when I got up to the first alarm. The guilt is awful and in hindsight, I wish I would have pts during the morning emergency vet appointment as his last day wouldnt have been the most pleasant for him, but I had hope that the antibiotics would soon kick in and he would pull through :soz: miss him dearly
I know it is difficult but please try not to feel guilty about this.
Many animals and people actually hang on as long as possible, and then choose to pass once they are on their own.

I have a good friend who is a Dr. and he said he sees it all the time.
In fact we had this exact expereince with my own mother who was in end stage cancer.
Her wonderful palliative care nurse suggested that we all say good bye, tell her it was ok to go, and then leave the room.
She died 5 minutes after we all left.
I think for many people (and definitely animals) death is not something they fear, but leaving a loved one behind is difficult, so they wait until they are alone and choose to go then.
Milan's death was in a place he loved and felt safe, and you have nothing to feel guilty about.