running out of cage

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dawn

hi I'm new to piggies and i was wondering why frank does this , when i open there hutch they are always in there bed bit so i open the door herbert sits for a minute and i pick him up or he runs into the other bit but frank well he zooms either straight at the door ,which scares me to death and is sooooo dangerous as ive had to cathch him a couple of times or he takes a run from the other bit right at me why does he do this regards dawn

G

gothchick1515

Hi, is your guinea in a hutch, my rudi did that oftern maybe he cant wait to be let out or cuddled Rudi was in the hutch for only a few months but my rabbits are there all year round and they DEFINATLY do that so i think its a 'let me out i wanna run' thing Zubin my current pig doesnt he wont leave his pigloo hes a scaredy cat lol x

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Guinea pigs tend to do this for the first couple of weeks/month of having them. This is just because they are nervous.

I have some guinea pigs which are still quite nervous and run away when I open the hutch door however the 5 girls I have in a hutch come running over to the door and are standing up the door when trying to open it.

Spend as much time as possible with your guinea pig so they learn to trust you and they will soon start to be more forward about coming out to see you. When getting your guinea pigs out the cage give them little treats which will help make them more tame.

It could take a long time for your guinea pigs to be very tame but it is worth it when you see them come running over to the door when they see you.

Kate (starshine) guinea pigs are the tamest guinea pigs I have ever seen. They are incredibly friendly and run over to the bars when you go over to them :)

D

Dawn

thanks i was just worried cause its dangerous he runs so fast cheers dawn

squeakypigs

Forum Founder
Reaction score
I know it can be quite scary when they go aiming for the door. My friendly and tame guinea pigs as I said hang onto the door so when you open it your scared they are going to hang out the door.

Are there your first 2 guinea pigs ever? I think a lot of people think guinea pigs are just like little hamsters e.t.c and don't do much but they have so much personality and are very very different to hamsters. You will love them just as much as a family member! :)

D

Dawn

hi i had some years and years ago but i dont remember them running so quick lol herbert is very quiet and will sit quite happily ill go and take some pictures at 7 when the kids are in bed cheers dawn

G

gothchick1515

Awww he sounds either curious, nervous or eger by the way those names are so cool lol x

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
Aww, you got yourself a nervous piggy there..! He just needs to get used to you.

xx Mrs Player xx

G

gothchick1515

Lol Zubins been here 8 months and hes still nervous it might be hes just shy hehe see if hes still like it in a few weeks

kellyandpiggies

Reaction score
Guinea's like that all the time.. and Tiny.. but once you've picked them up they're fine..

It's just the way they are sometimes

C

claire

Munchkin was really nervous when he first came to us, but hes fine now

They just need time to settle in

Love
Claire
x

D

Dawn

at least i know the reason now cheers ,are they likely to bite me cause they are scared ? also when you stroke there skin it got thinks on i cant explain like little tiny grains of rice could they have lice ? what do you do about them thanks dawn #

G

gothchick1515

That sounds like mite erm i would try some shampoo from the pet shop one especially for piggies and if that doesnt work go to your vets, as for biting i learnt that they do sometiime this morning my new boy Harry bit me and drew blood but he was scared so i forgive him, Rudi n Zubin never did though so it depends on them and how scared they are they rarely bite intentionally x

Status
Not open for further replies.