• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Runny Nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

piglet_and_rogers_mama

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I was holding George a few minutes ago, and I noticed that his nose was runny. He sneezed once too. I haven't noticed any other signs of illness from him, but after losing Podge at the beginning of this month, I really can't deal with another health scare, or death. I called and scheduled an urgent appointment tomorrow. Are there any chances that Piglet could catch whatever he may (or may not) have? Should I request antibiotics for Piglet, just in case? If tomorrow, he seems fine, no sign of runny nose, should I just cancel the appointment? I have no experience with URIs, but he doesn't have crusty eyes or anything else.
Suggestions?

With a watery runny nose, it doesn't need necessarily be a URI; it can just be an irritation in the nose. However if the running and sneezing persists, you need to see a vet.

URI is infectious, but healthy piggies with a good immune system can usually fend it off. You cannot give antibiotics as a precaution.

I hope that it isn't going to be serious. Whatever it is, you are a very caring mummy and have caught it early anyway. ;)

He is completely fine! I'm assuming right now it was some kind of irritation that caused the runny nose. However, I will also keep an eye out just incase something is up.

I wouldn't worry too much, I have had many piggies with a little runny nose or the occasional sneeze that has turned out to be nothing, as it can be with humans.
I wouldn't necessarily rush him to the vets if it might stress him out, often with a URI you can hear the signs of blockage in the lungs if you hold their chest to your ear and it sounds a little wheezy.
I would make sure he is nice and warm and spoilt with plenty of fresh foods and water and he should be completely fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back