• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Runny nose

Chickenpies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, i have 2 outdoor piggies and i have noticed one has a runny nose. I have looked up symptoms of a URI and he displays none of them. He is eating, he doesnt drink much (neither of them do). Does anyone have any suggestions of what it could be? Thank you.

It could be any number of things but having a vet check him out to rule out the start of a medical issue would be best.
You can’t gauge hay intake by eye so routine weighing is essential but more so if there is the possibility of an illness

Because respiratory infections can worsen so quickly and be so serious (even fatal), any kind of nasal discharge should be checked out ASAP. Hope it's nothing to worry about, but it's better to treat early with few symptoms than later with more!

Because respiratory infections can worsen so quickly and be so serious (even fatal), any kind of nasal discharge should be checked out ASAP. Hope it's nothing to worry about, but it's better to treat early with few symptoms than later with more!
Hi, thank you for telling me what you think! But weirdly, it’s gone! Do you think it was because he was cold, I doubled up his hay and his cage is nearly filled with hay. Thank you.

It could be any number of things but having a vet check him out to rule out the start of a medical issue would be best.
You can’t gauge hay intake by eye so routine weighing is essential but more so if there is the possibility of an illness
Hi! It’s gone, which is super weird. I doubled up his hay, and I checked on him maybe an hour later and he didn’t have a runny nose anymore. Do you think he was cold? Thank you!

Hi! It’s gone, which is super weird. I doubled up his hay, and I checked on him maybe an hour later and he didn’t have a runny nose anymore. Do you think he was cold? Thank you!

No I don’t think it would have anything to do with that. It is either due to a respiratory issue starting or maybe some irritation in the nose. I would keep a close eye on him and speak to a vet if it happens again

No I don’t think it would have anything to do with that. It is either due to a respiratory issue starting or maybe some irritation in the nose. I would keep a close eye on him and speak to a vet if it happens again
I will. When i put hay on last night, i got all the bits from the bottom (so it was pretty dusty) could it be that? And i have read up somewhere that cigarette smoke could be the issue, and my next door neighbor smokes a lot everyday, could it be that?

It could be any of those things, but you would always want to rule out the medical first (ie URI) before looking to other options.

I agree that having him vet checked would be the best just to rule out the start of a uri or another potential illness
Hi! I’ve been to the vet and it is a uri. Thank you for helping me. The vet gave me metacam and baytril to give him for a week and has adviced me to clean his cage everyday. Thank you so much! :)

Hi! I’ve been to the vet and it is a uri. Thank you for helping me. The vet gave me metacam and baytril to give him for a week and has adviced me to clean his cage everyday. Thank you so much! :)

You’re welcome :) I’m sorry it’s a uri but it sounds like you’ve caught it early. Healing vibes for a speedy recovery x

I don’t know about cleaning the cage daily...perhaps do a deep clean today then poo pick every day. You’ve caught it quickly likely so hopefully he’ll get better very soon.

:agr:
I’d give a good deep clean (F10 disinfectant being my go to cleaner) and then ensure the cage is kept dry and poops picked regularly from then on (but ideally you’d be doing that anyway)

I hope he feels better soon

:agr:
I’d give a good deep clean (F10 disinfectant being my go to cleaner) and then ensure the cage is kept dry and poops picked regularly from then on (but ideally you’d be doing that anyway)

I hope he feels better soon
I’m sorry for replying so much haha! But the vet also recommended vitamin c drops. I’ve read about them on here and they don’t sound so good. What do you think?

I’m sorry for replying so much haha! But the vet also recommended vitamin c drops. I’ve read about them on here and they don’t sound so good. What do you think?

Extra vitamin c can benefit a poorly piggy. Ordinarily they get plenty from their diet so a healthy piggy doesn’t need any extra vit c supplemented. If you choose to give extra vit c while he is unwell then that is fine but just don’t use any of the ones which need to be added to their drinking water as it can stop them from drinking water at all (it can change the taste of the water).

(Don’t be sorry for posting! We are all here to help!)

Extra vitamin c can benefit a poorly piggy. Ordinarily they get plenty from their diet so a healthy piggy doesn’t need any extra vit c supplemented. If you choose to give extra vit c while he is unwell then that is fine but just don’t use any of the ones which need to be added to their drinking water as it can stop them from drinking water at all (it can change the taste of the water).

(Don’t be sorry for posting! We are all here to help!)
None of my piggies are drinkers anyway haha, they get lots of water from their veggies. Would i be able to get vitamin c drops, or would it be tablets or powder? Sorry, I just don’t know what I’m looking for!

Back