runs on hutches opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
next weekend we are buying 2 7ftx2ft hutches and connecting them together in an L shape, we will be making a few alterations so one will be a large 7ft x2ft sleeping hutch and the other will be the 7ft x 2ft living area. there will be 6 piggies in there, the 4 rescues we picked up a couple of days ago, and the 2 minipigs from my friend who i am hoping to bond with the 4 ladies here now.

with these 2 hutches, i am thinking i may not give them a run on the outside but rather have a run which i can move around the garden and give them a few hours in that for grazing on dry days. whats peoples thoughts on this? is a run a good idea? the hutch run if i do decide to build one on would have a paved base so no grazing in there but would keep their nails trim. so far the 4 rescue girls wont leave their hutch, we have put grass/veggies out there and they stand at the door and wheek at it but still wont step outside. not entirely sure why.

Teresa J

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Your piggy accomodation sounds terrific - lucky girls :) Dont worry that your girls aren't venturing outside as yet - they just need time to adjust to their new surroundings and probably feel safer 'indoors' at the moment.

Personally I prefer runs which can be moved around the garden on the grass and you can pop the piggies out each day to enjoy fresh air and grazing.
Several reasons but mainly :-
1 - alot of pigs wont use ramps down to a run. Alot actually fall off a ramp causing injuries.
2 - a run on a hard surface ie: paving, concrete etc does keep nails trim but can also lead to VERY sore feet
3 - it means that the piggies have to be picked up each day to be put outside so an owner is more likely to notice if something is wrong with their piggy

Remember if constructing your own run or indeed purchasing one that the piggies will need a sheltered area to protect from the sun and that piggies should not be put outside if it's cold, windy or wet.

Hope that dosen't sound like a lecture - it wasn't intended as such...........:)

Teresa xx

Last edited:
Reaction score
nope, not seen as a lecture :)) just good advice. either way i will be having the run on the grass, who needs a lawn mower when you can have piggies :))

i think we will set-up the 2 hutches and get all that sorted, then see about the run. the hutches alone will give them a ton more space so I'm sure they wont mind another week or 2 to decide what to do about the run idea :)

Little Piggles

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My lot live outdoors in summer too and have a seperate run setup which we move around the lawn. They left a lovely patch-work effect last year! :))

The run we have is one of those clip-together affairs which we doubled late last summer to give them more space

p.s your hutches sound fab! I'm jealous

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sounds like they have plenty of space. :)

I like runs on concrete and my pigs have never had a problem with sore feet, so I have mine on concrete when there isn't enough grass. I find it really good cos it's easy to sweep up to clean and all. So you could attach a run to the hutches if you like, but they have plenty of space anyway.

They'll LOVE the run on grass, so I definitely recommend that! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.