• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Rupert's Bloat :(

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
Well think I cursed stuff as said this morning how well Rupert is on Ped's thread!

Have been really keeping a close eye on him after his strange episode and the bloatyness, went easy with the greens/gassy veg for a couple of weeks but the last week he's enjoyed his normal portions of romaine lettuce/little gem etc and been fine.

Thought I'd grab some spring greens today for snails and the pigs as they love it. Gave him 1/3 of a small leaf, same for Jess.
An hour ish after (4.30) he's laying funny, looking uncomfortable and not right. Yep tummy a bit swollen! Grr! :(

He's had a bit of metacam and a good massage (could hear his slightly gurgly tummy going) He's pooing and peeing and back in the cage eating hay, looking happier already.

So looks like spring greens on the list of no-nos! First on the list!
We know what I'm eating all week! :)

Well think I cursed stuff as said this morning how well Rupert is on Ped's thread!

Have been really keeping a close eye on him after his strange episode and the bloatyness, went easy with the greens/gassy veg for a couple of weeks but the last week he's enjoyed his normal portions of romaine lettuce/little gem etc and been fine.

Thought I'd grab some spring greens today for snails and the pigs as they love it. Gave him 1/3 of a small leaf, same for Jess.
An hour ish after (4.30) he's laying funny, looking uncomfortable and not right. Yep tummy a bit swollen! Grr! :(

He's had a bit of metacam and a good massage (could hear his slightly gurgly tummy going) He's pooing and peeing and back in the cage eating hay, looking happier already.

So looks like spring greens on the list of no-nos! First on the list!
We know what I'm eating all week! :)

All the best! Unfortunately the digestive system can stay capricious for a surprisingly long time after a major bloat. :(

All the best! Unfortunately the digestive system can stay capricious for a surprisingly long time after a major bloat. :(
Thanks @Wiebke. Yes definitely looks it!
Only really dealt with bloat with my past chinchilla Poppy. Chins don't have veg though!
So looks like I'll be on even higher alert for my lad for a while yet! So annoyed I grabbed the spring greens, they've been on a rather boring diet for a few weeks (esp with Rupert being a bladder pig) so felt bad! Stoopid me! :doh:

Well at least you have identified a trigger. sorry that Rupert is bloaty again, but to be honest it’s often like this with bloat - you get past one episode and then get little repeat ones for a period of time. But you get quicker at spotting the symptoms developing and get the meds started quickly so it’s never quite as bad as the first time. Hope he soon feels better again.

Thanks a lot @VickiA :)
Yes think it's probably not the last time! Surprised at the speed he suddenly looked so uncomfortable but know for next time, will camp out by the cage next time I feed something he hasn't had in a while!
Just gave me a good squeak for going past the cage and not feeding him something new, it's full you pig! Laying there surrounded by 3 different hays, we'll stay off the veg til later I think! ;)

Poor bloaty boy, we have a bloaty girl Puggle and she bloated acutely and almost died last year then had a repeat but less serious flare-up about once a week for 2 months, a couple of times coriander was the trigger but sometimes it just happened. Then we got a long-term prescription for ranitidine costing £80 and she's never bloated again, awkward piggies! She's even ok with a bit of coriander now but I'm always watching out just in case.
Healing wheeks for Rupert! Especially from bloaty Puggle, she saw the vet travel box for Tallulah today and freaked out, she still hasnt forgotten her acute bloat day with all that pain and xrays and thermometers up her bum and so many injections and subcutaneous fluids she looked like a waterbed/pincushion...

Thanks @PigglePuggle and gorgeous Puggle :) poor girly, she went through a lot! Nasty vets and their pokey things! xx
Yep it's always when you're well stocked with everything they decide they'll be fine after all! :)

Stupidly thought after 3weeks we'd be ok to try some greenery not had in a while, def stupid on my part! We'll stick to pepper and cucumber later as know that's good for him, unless it's best to leave the veg tonight in your experience?

I'd be tempted to leave the veg out for a couple of days if he's eating hay and pellets, but there again cucumber and peppers are usually ok, and Puggle would only eat her critical care off a thin slice of cucumber so we never cut out the veg completely... she'd lick recovery food off a piece of cucumber or carrot no problem but wouldnt take a syringe at all! Get well soon Rupert x

Thanks @Merab's Slave.

Thanks @PigglePuggle :) yeah think I'll leave off veg tonight, they had some this morning and then a slice of apple because their chinchilla bro got some (can't chop anything in my house without the pigs getting something of course!), then obviously the bloaty afternoon stuff, sure they'll be fine for now! :)
Won't get any peace in the morning if they don't get some then though!

Mini update on my lad :)
Looks great today :D Normal sized tummy and no balloon feel to it! Chattering away at me all day as only had a bit of cucumber and red pepper so giving me a good telling off as I'm starving him! But pellets demolished, loads of hay and no spring greens so think he's happy!

I'm a worrier so popping in constantly but I think he's going to be fine! :) (Had so much trouble with my little beasties I'm scarred I think!)

Sorry only just caught up.
Oh Rupert are you being naughty, hope I didn't jinx you.
Rupert you aren't supposed to scare mummy like that.xx

Back