• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

sad piggie !

PiggieNPooh

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
okay i post on here a lot as i worry a lot but one of my piggies seems really sad ! warning this is gonna be a long one! i only got them almost 3 days ago but they have been lively and are already interacting and going near me until today . the 2 i have normally do bicker quite a lot and one is very territorial where the other is laid-back . the territorial piggie doesn’t let the laid-back piggie on anything . i got more than 2 of everything but he still won’t let him go in or use anything except the litter tray ! ive only seen the laid-back one out of the little tray twice today and i’m near them a lot . he was very bubbly and interactive yesterday so i don’t know what’s wrong but he’s just been lying in there all day, he’s not ill or anything as he’s doing everything else like eat and drink and interact but when he’s not doing that he goes back to the little tray and doesn’t interact with anything, just lies down . he seems to be really gloomy and sad . is this normal ?

PiggieNPooh

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
How big is your cage please? Do they have hideys each?
my cage is 32sq ft / 200x150cm so it’s definitely large enough . i have about 4 (sometimes 5) hideys between the 2 piggies so yep enough hideys

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
okay i post on here a lot as i worry a lot but one of my piggies seems really sad ! warning this is gonna be a long one! i only got them almost 3 days ago but they have been lively and are already interacting and going near me until today . the 2 i have normally do bicker quite a lot and one is very territorial where the other is laid-back . the territorial piggie doesn’t let the laid-back piggie on anything . i got more than 2 of everything but he still won’t let him go in or use anything except the litter tray ! ive only seen the laid-back one out of the little tray twice today and i’m near them a lot . he was very bubbly and interactive yesterday so i don’t know what’s wrong but he’s just been lying in there all day, he’s not ill or anything as he’s doing everything else like eat and drink and interact but when he’s not doing that he goes back to the little tray and doesn’t interact with anything, just lies down . he seems to be really gloomy and sad . is this normal ?
Hi!
Please see a vet asap! An apathetic guinea pig is a sign that something very serious is not right; it is one of the red alert signs.
You can reclaim any vet cost from the pet shop that you are incurring during the quarantining period; i.e. the period they could have already come with the problem from the shop.
List Of Life And Death Out-of-hours Emergencies
How Soon Should My Guinea Pig See A Vet? - A Quick Guide
What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)

PiggieNPooh

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!
Please see a vet asap! An apathetic guinea pig is a sign that something very serious is not right; it is one of the red alert signs.
You can reclaim any vet cost from the pet shop that you are incurring during the quarantining period; i.e. the period they could have already come with the problem from the shop.
List Of Life And Death Out-of-hours Emergencies
How Soon Should My Guinea Pig See A Vet? - A Quick Guide
What to check and look out for in new guinea pigs (vet checks, sexing, parasites&illness)
thank you ! today he has actually livened up a lot and even tried climbing on my lap (weird as i’ve only had them a few days) and he has been a lot happier seeming . i don’t know what could’ve been wrong as today he’s totally fine and the most active i’ve seen him be . if i see him acting like it again i will be 100% sure to contact someone and go to the vet . maybe it could’ve been the stress of all the moving and changing ? not sure though .

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
thank you ! today he has actually livened up a lot and even tried climbing on my lap (weird as i’ve only had them a few days) and he has been a lot happier seeming . i don’t know what could’ve been wrong as today he’s totally fine and the most active i’ve seen him be . if i see him acting like it again i will be 100% sure to contact someone and go to the vet . maybe it could’ve been the stress of all the moving and changing ? not sure though .
Glad to know that he is better today! It would be good to have him checked out, especially his heart.

Please take the time to read our new owner owners guides (of which all the above links are part of). You will find them both very helpful and interesting. The guides address all the areas we get the most concerns and questions about and also help you to learn what is normal and what not and how soon you need to see a vet.
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Whenever something is not right with a piggy, you switch from the normal once weekly weigh-in and body onceover to weighing daily in order to monitor the food intake. Over 80% should be hay, which you cannot control by eye.
Weight - Monitoring and Management

PiggieNPooh

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Glad to know that he is better today! It would be good to have him checked out, especially his heart.

Please take the time to read our new owner owners guides (of which all the above links are part of). You will find them both very helpful and interesting. The guides address all the areas we get the most concerns and questions about and also help you to learn what is normal and what not and how soon you need to see a vet.
Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Whenever something is not right with a piggy, you switch from the normal once weekly weigh-in and body onceover to weighing daily in order to monitor the food intake. Over 80% should be hay, which you cannot control by eye.
will do ! i’m getting them registered in a vet tomorrow and i’ll bring him and ask if i can get a check up while I'm there ! lol they definitely eating enough hay as they’ve eaten a whole giant bag of it in the 3-4 days i’ve had them ! thanks for the link i’ll be sure to check it out now