• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Sad to Say. Bonding Failed. 2+2=Million

David Piggie Lover

Forum Donator 2022/23
Reaction score
Hello all.
You my know I have 2 piggies Heidi and Chloe were 3 but lost Cocoa last Christmas.
Last year rescued 2 Mrs Dougal and Florence. All girls are age from 1.5 to prob 4.
They been mentioned in threads on here.
I have them together divided by some c+ c
I've tried to bond them before but I made a mistake and didn't follow the excellent advise and guides on here. I quickly realised I needed to do this better.
Month on and I've seen Heidi and Mrs Dougal kiss many times through the c+c plus all 4 share hay trays together next to the c+c.
This morning I made a nutural area and hay in middle and food.
Put all in and sat down to referee . . .
they all were quiet and slow took some food. Then they started rumberling and chasing . with moments of stand offs. . it got louder and i had to keep a very close watch.
No resbite at all. Chasing and was clear that Heidi wanted space and if Mrs Dougal or Florence were in her space it kicked off and again if Heidi approached them it resulted in Chase and so fast the c+c was bashed and noise louder.
Then it went another level and face to face teeth showing and fighting. Vicious and no return so I had to separate them.
For hour or so like a fighter they were pumped up and took time to calm
I be honest guys it totally shocked me and not what I expected at all. .
They ok now in the original pairs.
Sad but I still love um. x:yikes:.

Last edited:
Bonding adult well established couples (sows only or a mixed pair) is in my own experience one of the most fraught bondings and most likely to fail because neither of the leaders is willing to step down.

Sows that exchange the wrong signals can literally blow up in a matter of seconds. It is a rather frightening experience because the spotlight is so much on the boys.
Interaction through the grids is a completely different game than being face to face. You can never tell what is going to happen.

I have sow pairs who have managed to get into a major feud just through the grids, so I have to always be careful to keep them apart... and to keep in mind who is not getting on with who with every change in the cage layout! :yikes:

Sorry that it has happened to you! But glad that the stress has not led to the leaders turning on their companions.

Sorry to hear this, its a shock when an ideal bonding doesnt work after promising interactions through the bars! This happened when little baby Tallulah met and immediately attacked big boss lady Clover and almost got eaten alive... there's no accounting for piggy politics, especially from ladies, who can be super vicious! Hugs for you and your girls and hope they settle down soon... the best laid plans, eh? X

Sorry to hear that the ladies didn’t get on. I’m afraid sows of a certain age and who are set in their ways and their domestic arrangements can be very difficult to bond. At least they each have their own companion and can live as 2 pairs.

Bonding adult well established couples (sows only or a mixed pair) is in my own experience one of the most fraught bondings and most likely to fail because neither of the leaders is willing to step down.

Sows that exchange the wrong signals can literally blow up in a matter of seconds. It is a rather frightening experience because the spotlight is so much on the boys.
Interaction through the grids is a completely different game than being face to face. You can never tell what is going to happen.

I have sow pairs who have managed to get into a major feud just through the grids, so I have to always be careful to keep them apart... and to keep in mind who is not getting on with who with every change in the cage layout! :yikes:

Sorry that it has happened to you! But glad that the stress has not led to the leaders turning on their companions.
They fine and Heidi and Chloe are very close.
Mrs Dougal and Florence ok they scuttle for space and whoever gets food course other wants it but they ok also. Thanks. x

Sorry to hear this, its a shock when an ideal bonding doesnt work after promising interactions through the bars! This happened when little baby Tallulah met and immediately attacked big boss lady Clover and almost got eaten alive... there's no accounting for piggy politics, especially from ladies, who can be super vicious! Hugs for you and your girls and hope they settle down soon... the best laid plans, eh? X
I agree but phew was a shock. Sorry about your efforts also. Lol. little monkeys

Sorry to hear that the ladies didn’t get on. I’m afraid sows of a certain age and who are set in their ways and their domestic arrangements can be very difficult to bond. At least they each have their own companion and can live as 2 pairs.
Thanks Vicki. Heidi and Chloe send you :luv:

I don't get why boars get so much bad press when sows can be so very difficult! Sorry it hasn't worked out, such is the piggy way. I've had my own super stubborn sow previously to the point I had to split a group of 4 into two pairs after years of Jemima living in a group of 4 she just got too stressed

Back