• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Safe Enrichment Agility Course for Adventurous Pig

alexr

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone has ever created a safe agility course for their guinea pig?! Meet Guinevere; a hilarious, high-energy athlete who was clearly a circus acrobat in a former life! Her favourite hobbies include climbing (her latest trick is climbing onto my head whilst we’re on the sofa), the long-jump, precision balancing and plotting her next act of mischief!

In all my years of guinea-pig ownership, I’ve never met such a ball of constant energy, intelligence and agility. I feel she might benefit from some activities to channel her interests!

Do you have any thoughts on creating an agility course on a budget? I’m not keen on the idea of jumps or see-saws, but I was thinking low A-frames or bridges might appeal to her (something she can climb onto and walk along). Any ideas/pics of equipment appreciated!IMG_7426.jpeg

Master Boris

Master Boris does look like a cheeky monkey! 🥰 I used to have a Boris who was quite the character, bless him!

I think my photo of Guinevere is misleading. It captures a rare moment of her sprawling out (for all of 30 seconds before moving on to her next act of mischief!) 😆

I have no advice but she sounds like she's related to Mischievous Master Boris 🤣View attachment 238817

I think going through tunnels and over very low jumps, just an inch or so would be fine. I have read that A frames can be bad for their spines as they go over the top because of the lack of natural flexibilty in their spines, it would depend on the angle I guess but don't know what a safe angle would be.

I think going through tunnels and over very low jumps, just an inch or so would be fine. I have read that A frames can be bad for their spines as they go over the top because of the lack of natural flexibilty in their spines, it would depend on the angle I guess but don't know what a safe angle would be.

Yes, I must admit, the more research I do, the more I’m steering towards the idea of a low bridge with small ramp at each end rather than an A frame. Someone on Facebook has just shown me some jumps she made with LEGO supports and a stick set at a low height. I don’t have any LEGO, but I think loo rolls with a slit might hold the stick.

You could try training her to go through an obstacle course, I tried it with one of my pigs but he’s extremely lazy and I gave up when he wouldn’t even take a step forward!
There is someone on YouTube who has videos on how they train their guinea pig to do tricks.

Edit: found one, not sure it is the really great one I found though. I will have a more thorough look for it later.
This is one

You could try training her to go through an obstacle course, I tried it with one of my pigs but he’s extremely lazy and I gave up when he wouldn’t even take a step forward!
There is someone on YouTube who has videos on how they train their guinea pig to do tricks.

Edit: found one, not sure it is the really great one I found though. I will have a more thorough look for it later.
This is one
I have been following that account in Facebook for years. She trains her guinea pigs so well. Wish I can do that for my piggies. But my piggies all had/have the attitude of divas/bosses, so unfortunately it's a no go. 😂 Although I managed to teach some of them to kiss me on the nose (some do it by licking my nose and some by nibbling my nose a bit). 😂

This is one
Having had a look. I think it was that one but with a previous guinea pig, a few years ago.

This is a jump I made out of popsicles stuck together with a glue gun. I made it so that the bar could be at two different levels, or off completely off like this.
Ive been meaning to add some more obstacles but haven't got round to it yet!

One of my previous piggies, Marshmallow, loved jumping over the legs of the kitchen table. The legs were those that spread out over the floor and she just hopped over them when she was zooming around the apartment during floor time. Can Guinevere have floor time? That may give her a real chance to do zoomies. I would make an obstacle course of to toliet/loo rolls or paper towel cardboard rolls.

Back