• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Safe Way To Gets Ants Out Of My Cavy Shed And Cages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtis Cavies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
Had a recent spot of bother with ants trying to move into my conservatory and front room. Wanting a safe natural deterrent to drive them out and keep it that way, I have used string dipped in 100% pure peppermint oil and placed it in nooks and canines and doorways.
Well, its worked and there is a rather pleasant, if not a bit strong, aroma around the house! The little critters have moved out alright. Straight across to my piggies 8x12 wooden shed! Went in this afternoon to find it swarming with them. Don't want my girls being bitten or irritated by them and they are quite literally all over their floor, bedding and everything.
So my question is: is it safe to use peppermint oil near my piggies to drive the ants out of my girls' home? And deter them from coming back in? I know mice and rats are supposed to detest mint but I know that a lot of guinea's enjoy eating dried mint and some possibly fresh! If I lay soaked string down around the floor of the entire shed, including under the bedding, will this be detrimental to my girls?
Looking forward to answers so I may go sort the problem!
Thank you! X

Hi everyone.
Had a recent spot of bother with ants trying to move into my conservatory and front room. Wanting a safe natural deterrent to drive them out and keep it that way, I have used string dipped in 100% pure peppermint oil and placed it in nooks and canines and doorways.
Well, its worked and there is a rather pleasant, if not a bit strong, aroma around the house! The little critters have moved out alright. Straight across to my piggies 8x12 wooden shed! Went in this afternoon to find it swarming with them. Don't want my girls being bitten or irritated by them and they are quite literally all over their floor, bedding and everything.
So my question is: is it safe to use peppermint oil near my piggies to drive the ants out of my girls' home? And deter them from coming back in? I know mice and rats are supposed to detest mint but I know that a lot of guinea's enjoy eating dried mint and some possibly fresh! If I lay soaked string down around the floor of the entire shed, including under the bedding, will this be detrimental to my girls?
Looking forward to answers so I may go sort the problem!
Thank you! X

I did a quick google and mint is on the list in this link ...

http://www.ehow.com/how_4840069_rid-ants-harming-pets.html

as is vinegar and water
Thank you! Don't want to kill, everything is here for a purpose! But just don't fancy sharing my home or my piggies shed with them. Will try the essential oil in shed as I have house, have heard spiders don't like it either and I terrified of them. But I wont kill them. Terrified of their dead bodies also! I know, I know, I'm a wus!

Thank you! Don't want to kill, everything is here for a purpose! But just don't fancy sharing my home or my piggies shed with them. Will try the essential oil in shed as I have house, have heard spiders don't like it either and I terrified of them. But I wont kill them. Terrified of their dead bodies also! I know, I know, I'm a wus!

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back