• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scab just under eye.

Tara95

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sorry I feel like I'm posting on here alot recently. This is Boo she's the smallest out of all the guinea pigs I'm hoping this isn't but I'm presuming it's a bite mark. They've never had any full on fights but I have noticed one of eldest wasn't being very kind to any of the guinea pigs (acting out of character-on heat, chasing etc a few days ago but seems to have calmed down now..) However non of the guinea pigs have any marks on them but she is definitely the runt/least dominant guinea pig.This was taken yesterday and today it appears more noticeable and a bigger scab below the area taken. She's very energetic and is still her usual active self and is eating regularly and snatching food cheekily from the others. The scab does feel really hard, but not very deep atall. Doesn't seem to be in any pain with it when I've been examining but then again guinea pigs hide these things. Hoping to take her to the vet as it really doesn't look nice although the scab seems to be healing up well but with obvious hair loss below it. Think I need to invest in a guinea pig first aid kit for emergencies. Any recommendations?

Attachments

• received_1029092404193410~2.jpeg
    received_1029092404193410~2.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 19
You’re best to get her checked by a vet. It could be a bite mark or it could be a fungal infection but only a vet can diagnose and prescribe the correct treatment
Thank you I will be taking her as soon as I can get an appointment. I wouldn't class it as an emergency as it is just a scab, but not sure whether to invest in a first aid kit for the future.

I agree with Claire - possibly an injury but it’s possible it could be a fungal infection. Ensure strict hygiene while you wait for diagnosis as ringworm for example, can spread to humans. While it isn’t an emergency, you do need to get it seen as a wound can get infected, but also if it is a fungal infection, the quicker treatment is started the better.

a first aid kit needs to contain such items as to be able to syringe feed, styptic powder to stop bleeding nails if you accidentally cut the quick, etc but not any items which will go out of date. I’ll add in a link. But you should not apply any kind of creams or any home treatments because you can wipe the scene and make diagnosing so much harder, plus you can inadvertently cause more harm. Your best bet is to go to a vet straight away rather than try to apply any kind of aid yourself

First Aid Kit: Easily available non-medication support products for an emergency

Okay thank you. Very interesting read. I really hope it is not ring worm as she doesn't have any other sore areas. Today it looks like this I can't really get a good picture of it, but it doesn't look deep in person and looks hard and scabby. I have noticed the other Guinea pigs are licking this area. Hope I don't need to seperate her.
Many thanks again

Attachments

• received_364587201256505~2.jpeg
    received_364587201256505~2.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 15
Oh dear that does look sore! Excellent advice there from @Claire W and @Piggies&buns , maybe you could bathe the wound with saline just to keep it clean and get a better look at it, but really the vet needs to take a look and if it isnt an obvious bite then test and possibly start treating for a fungal infection...

Pretty convinced it's a bite as have seen the eldest go for her there (well threaten to) when she was on heat a few days ago, but a bit confused about the hair loss.. hope it grows back..
And thank you for advice, she is a particularly fearful Guinea pig don't want to stress her out too much, might give it a try later, it is really dry though.
Many thanks :)

I would say it's not a bite. When they go for other piggies, they can warn them off with a 'bite' that doesn't break skin - so a well placed 'nip'. It can happen when they're on heat. They'll be kind of 'manic' then calm down.

I'll get it checked out just can't believe how much it's changed in a day. And a few days before that it wasn't even noticeable and she looked so healthy. Hopefully it'll improve a bit tomorrow, hard to get vets appointments atm unless it's an emergency.
Many thanks for advice,

I'll get it checked out just can't believe how much it's changed in a day. And a few days before that it wasn't even noticeable and she looked so healthy. Hopefully it'll improve a bit tomorrow, hard to get vets appointments atm unless it's an emergency.
Many thanks for advice,

If it has got worse that quickly then a bite is less likely plus a continual decline will constitute it as urgent - a vet will see you. if it is a fungal infection then it won’t improve on its own, it’ll just continue to go downhill

Took Boo to the vets today, they gave her an antibiotic via injection, didn't seem overly concerned said it should clear up. Recommended purchasing the anti mite/flea stuff am going to wait until tomorrow to get it in bulk so I can treat all of them at the same time (just incase they all have mites) I have noticed occasional itching but nothing to suggest infestation. Going to clean the cage at the same time to prevent any visitors before and after it's applied!
Many thanks for advice guys,
Glad it's getting sorted 😊

Took Boo to the vets today, they gave her an antibiotic via injection, didn't seem overly concerned said it should clear up. Recommended purchasing the anti mite/flea stuff am going to wait until tomorrow to get it in bulk so I can treat all of them at the same time (just incase they all have mites) I have noticed occasional itching but nothing to suggest infestation. Going to clean the cage at the same time to prevent any visitors before and after it's applied!
Many thanks for advice guys,
Glad it's getting sorted 😊

its not a good idea to treat for mites unless you have a confirmed case. Mite treatments need to be done as part of the correct course in any event - just doing one treatment would not kill the entire life cycle of the mites (treatment only kills living mites, not eggs, so eggs then hatch restarting the whole thing so you never get on top of it by treating routinely instead of part of the correct course) so would be pointless in any event. Treating when there isnt a confirmed infestation can lead to resistance meaning if you do get an infestation the treatment can less effective/ineffective.

Okay interesting, the vet said she was giving me the treatment (I don't know it's exact name) but it kills mites/lice. Then I thought it may be pointless treating one if they all have it potentially and the assistant and the vet starting calculating how much I'd need for all 4 so ordering a pack of 9 but they can send it back if I change my mind. Do you think I should just use it on Boo who was observed with the vet? And just hope the others don't have it.

Okay interesting, the vet said she was giving me the treatment (I don't know it's exact name) but it kills mites/lice. Then I thought it may be pointless treating one if they all have it potentially and the assistant and the vet starting calculating how much I'd need for all 4 so ordering a pack of 9 but they can send it back if I change my mind. Do you think I should just use it on Boo who was observed with the vet? And just hope the others don't have it.

has the vet said she has mites? A scab under the eye is not typically how it would present - you’d see sore, bald patches with excessive scratching in the case of mange mites and often a v shape indentation in the back of their fur . In the case of hay mites you see excessive scratching and usually egg casings stuck to the hair at the back end of the piggy. Unless your vet thinks they really do have mites, then I wouldn’t treat any at all - doing it preventatively isn’t recommended. To complete a course each piggy needs three treatments with a couple of weeks between each treatment.
id be more concerned that such a mark under the eye was a potential fungal infection - in which case antibiotics and mite treatments won’t do anything

also, did you tell the vet about the potential for pregnancy? Not sure what treatments are considered safe in potentially pregnant piggies.

I didn't get the chance to tell her as it was a fairly rushed appointment and they were dealing with another issue she's my local vet. I spoke to an exotic vet about the pregnancy who basically said I'd have to be very unlucky if there is a pregnancy. My local vet (today) just said I'm giving her an antibiotic and this treatment and it should clear it up. What do they normally use to treat a fungel Infection? And she rarely itches but does have hair loss where the scab is and just above. But I have nnoticed the male (her brother) had always had a tiny bold patch above his head but always presumed that was his parting but never itches and it looks healthy.

There will be hair loss where the scab due to the presence of the scab. You can only go by what your Vet says as to whether it is a fungal infection, but It doesn’t sound completely like mites to me. The antibiotic will help with the risk of infection in the wound. I cannot remember the guidelines on mite treatments and pregnancy, so I can’t comment further on whether doing it is a good idea - you would need to tell your vet there is a pregnancy risk and check before carrying out any treatment.
the boar with his hair sounds like just how his hair is but of course we can’t see it.
Treating a fungal infection is (the best method) with an oral prescription treatment intrafungol.

yes you would have to be unlucky, but the fact is, he is a fertile boar and if any of the sows were in season then it’s a real possibility.

I think it is how his hair is. I think you can see it in his profile picture there's a dull brown circle at the top of his head. And I get what you mean it does seem more like a fungel Infection than mites and surely if it was was mites they'd all have it and it'd be noticeable especially as they're inside? I do suspect their might have been an odd tiny bite (not deep atall) by one of the pigs perhaps over a hidey or something and this may have caused an infection/fungus to manifest in the wound.
I'll ring the vet tomorrow and explain how we don't think it's mites and she's showing sign of a fungel Infection? And just hope she pescribes we the anti fungal meds without having to bring her in again as it just stresses her out too much..
Many thanks again,

You can only go by what your vet says, it’s just, and others may have a different experience, but this doesn’t scream mites to me.
it is possible for one piggy to get mites and not the others - a healthy immune system can often keep them in check but one piggy with a slightly lowered system can show signs. You’d see a lot of scratching though (from any piggy with an infestation) and you don’t say that you are seeing that

Tbh they haven't itched for ages, when they were outside I used to notice it every now and then but they've been inside for over 2 weeks now and haven't seen any sign of irritation/itching and it's only in the last 3 days that her (perhaps fungel Infection) has become noticeable. I have noticed her ears and toes appear quite red and vainy compared to the others (doesn't look worrying but looks like she has a natural pinky complexion) if it is a weakness area she may be more prone to infections./funguses. I know I have made her out to be this skinny guinea pig and I have been slightly concerned that she's not as big as the others but when the vet weighed her today she said she was 460g! So perhaps she is healthier than I think.
Thanks again,

Back