• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scab on belly?

purple16

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone, i am new to this thread and would appreciate any insight anyone might have. I have 3 male guinea pigs that are 14 weeks old and have been doing great settling into their new home the last few weeks, however during one of my daily health checks i came across what appears to be a scab on one of my piggies lower belly, i dont remember seeing this scab before which is why i was concerned but it hasn't changed in the last few days. He is acting completely normal, playing with the other piggies, eating and drinking well and popcorning around, i just dont know what this could be? it is light brown, even smaller than a pencil eraser, and on his lower belly. When i touch near it he doesn't react like he is being caused any discomfort by it. i read somewhere that guinea pigs have belly buttons, but neither of my other piggies the same age have this, so i just thought i would see if anyone had any thoughts. thanks!

I’m afraid without seeing it we would only be guessing - it could well be a nipple though

I must inform you though that three teen males together is highly likely to end in trouble. Boar trios most often fail as boars do better in pairs and most trios don’t make it out of their teens together. It’s very hard to get the balance of characters right in boar trios. You would need an exceptionally large cage (allowing for a square metre per piggy) to give them enough room but character comes before space so even with a big enough space the chances of them being able to remain together for the long term are sadly very low

Adding More Guinea Pigs Or Merging Pairs – What Works And What Not?
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

Hello everyone, i am new to this thread and would appreciate any insight anyone might have. I have 3 male guinea pigs that are 14 weeks old and have been doing great settling into their new home the last few weeks, however during one of my daily health checks i came across what appears to be a scab on one of my piggies lower belly, i dont remember seeing this scab before which is why i was concerned but it hasn't changed in the last few days. He is acting completely normal, playing with the other piggies, eating and drinking well and popcorning around, i just dont know what this could be? it is light brown, even smaller than a pencil eraser, and on his lower belly. When i touch near it he doesn't react like he is being caused any discomfort by it. i read somewhere that guinea pigs have belly buttons, but neither of my other piggies the same age have this, so i just thought i would see if anyone had any thoughts. thanks!

Hi

I am sorry but could you please post a picture. We can't comment on the basis of your words.

Our sexing guide contains a picture of nipples, which look the same in both genders.
Illustrated Sexing Guide

Not the best photo since he isn't the happiest with me picking him up but hopefully it will suffice :(

Attachments

• IMG_20200715_162449.jpg
    IMG_20200715_162449.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 10
Could you get someone to hold him and take a (clearer) photo with his legs in as well - that can better show the position.

Back