• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scab on nose

Spaghetti & Noodles

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
So this morning when my daughter went out to feed the girls she noticed the fur on spaghetti's nose looked funny, on closer inspection this evening it appears she has cut/hurt herself, I carefully bathed the area and it looks clean and healthy, I'll obviously monitor and get a vet appointment if needed but just wondered what others thought. We're thinking it's from when they had their adventure from the outdoor run, the bushes and part of the garden they were in is quite spiky

Attachments

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I would also be a bit worried that the area around the scab is so bald and white and circular, it does have a rather characteristic ringworm appearance- I'd say get a vet check just to make sure, it doesnt quite look the same as an accidental nose scratch or misjudged dominance bite would...

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Ringworm and other fungal infections are easily brought in as microscopic spores on clothes, shoes, hands, on a gust of wind, or can be lurking in piggy's fur but not cause a problem until piggy gets a bit run down! Its worth checking out, the vet can take a swab/scrape of the area and send it off for a lab dermstophyte culture test, but the test can take 10 days to give a definite negative (usually a definite positive result comes sooner) so if the vet suspects something fungal they may prescribe treatment straight away rather than waiting for the test results.

Spaghetti & Noodles

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Ringworm and other fungal infections are easily brought in as microscopic spores on clothes, shoes, hands, on a gust of wind, or can be lurking in piggy's fur but not cause a problem until piggy gets a bit run down! Its worth checking out, the vet can take a swab/scrape of the area and send it off for a lab dermstophyte culture test, but the test can take 10 days to give a definite negative (usually a definite positive result comes sooner) so if the vet suspects something fungal they may prescribe treatment straight away rather than waiting for the test results.
Thank you

Spaghetti & Noodles

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Thank you

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
So this morning when my daughter went out to feed the girls she noticed the fur on spaghetti's nose looked funny, on closer inspection this evening it appears she has cut/hurt herself, I carefully bathed the area and it looks clean and healthy, I'll obviously monitor and get a vet appointment if needed but just wondered what others thought. We're thinking it's from when they had their adventure from the outdoor run, the bushes and part of the garden they were in is quite spiky
Hi!

Please see a vet if the area grows fast quickly and becomes crusty, in which case you are most likely dealing with ringworm.
It looks rather fungally to me too.
Ringworm spores are invisible, shed in their thousands and very long lived. The can be carried in with your shoes or clothing, been blown in or been around for up to or even over 2 years.
Please be aware that in the case of ringworm the period between infection and outbreak (the incubation period) is 10-14 days.

Here is our detailed ringworm guide to prevent it spreading and turning into an endless saga; it doesn't only cover ringworm care and hygiene in terms of the piggies but also transmission to other species, especially how you protect yourself: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Spaghetti & Noodles

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hi!

Please see a vet if the area grows fast quickly and becomes crusty, in which case you are most likely dealing with ringworm.
It looks rather fungally to me too.
Ringworm spores are invisible, shed in their thousands and very long lived. The can be carried in with your shoes or clothing, been blown in or been around for up to or even over 2 years.
Please be aware that in the case of ringworm the period between infection and outbreak (the incubation period) is 10-14 days.

Here is our detailed ringworm guide to prevent it spreading and turning into an endless saga; it doesn't only cover ringworm care and hygiene in terms of the piggies but also transmission to other species, especially how you protect yourself: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures
Thank you have just had a read of those.