• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scab Under Nose Above Mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktbubble007

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My piggie Chocolate has a dried scab just underneath his nose and just above his mouth. I've not had him out for two days and now feel guilty that I've missed this! Would you take him to vets or leave it for a couple of days to see if it heals by itself? If it's been weeping at all it's totally crusted over now - can't see any icy as such and he's not lost any weight and still chomping away.

Are you sure it's a scab and not just something stuck to his nose, like food? It could be the start of something like fungal or perhaps cheilitis, which can be brought on by feeding apple. I don't think it's an emergency, but if it is still there after the weekend, let a vet have a look.

Thanks for replying - I had a hold of him and got a wet tissue to see if I could clean it and it is dried onto his wee face. They rarely get apple as they are not too keen - I'll keep an eye in it over the weekend and see how it goes x

Chelitis can also be linked to fungal. My Nigel used to get it when he was run down due to his heart issues and was treated with Nystatin.

Mine had a few of them and it was chetlis due to feeding them apple whoops.it went as soon as I cut Apple out. They did have a pus head on the scab. I was advised by the get to put daily water on it
All good

Certainly looks like chelitis to me. I would see a vet for some treatment. It could also be a respiratory infection if he had nasal discharge but it looks more like chelitis.

x

Well it was food that got stuck! All cleaned out and some fuciderm put on it. I rarely give them apple maybe just once a week they get some peel - will just keep an eye on it x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back