• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scabbing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wigpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We noticed the other night Wigwig has a bald patch with scabbing underneath, between her front legs, and another scab on the leg itself which has grown in size. Vet has given us anti-mite drops and some medicine to syringe feed wig wig. We bathed both piggles and cleaned their cage + moved them to their old cage which is easier to keep clean due to it being plastic not wood. Is there anything else we can do to stop this reoccurring?
We were using Carefresh but the area under the water bottle kept growing white fuzzy mould after a few days so now just have fleece. Have also made sure they get the hay from pet shop ony, NOT the straw from the farm shop to lie on. We struggle to keep the cage clean even with cleaning every 2/3 days, they keep sitting in their poop and there is a tonne of it even after a day, even when we had the carefresh down it would be filthy after a day

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
Was the vet certain it was mites and not fungal? it sounds more like fungal to me, though I am not a vet.

Here is our Ringworm guide (not that I am necessarily suspecting Ringworm) but it has some good hygiene tips.
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/ringworm-hygiene-and-pictures.115402/

I would also spot clean at least once a day to remove the poos.

What is the oral medicine you have been given?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

How long ago did you see the vet and has the topical mites treatment been repeated? Could you please find out what the oral medication was? Has your vet considered a fungal problem?

Is the hairs on the bald patches coming out fairly easily, whole and sticking in skin flakes (rather points to fungal) on or are the hairs broken down the shaft (rather points to mites). http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/indentification.html

Pebble

Banned
Reaction score
Could you please be more specific about the medications - (ie name and dosage - with also guinea pig's weight)
We need to know this before we can help further.
x

Wigpigs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi!

How long ago did you see the vet and has the topical mites treatment been repeated? Could you please find out what the oral medication was? Has your vet considered a fungal problem?

Is the hairs on the bald patches coming out fairly easily, whole and sticking in skin flakes (rather points to fungal) on or are the hairs broken down the shaft (rather points to mites). http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/indentification.html
Thursday (mum took them as I work long hours). Mites treatment is once a week for 3 weeks. The oral meds is just Baytril, 45mls twice a day. I'm not entirely sure what the vet said but said it looked like mites due to the bits in the hair as well, even on the seemingly unaffected piggy. The scabs seem to be getting a bit better already I think.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Good! Just be patient; things should calm down noticeably after the second treatment; the third round is there to catch any emerging egss and prevent a return.

Status
Not open for further replies.