• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Scales for weighing guinea pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cavykind

Hi all,

I'll begin by confessing that despite what we are sometimes told, I don't weigh all my healthy guinea pigs regularly 666)

I do weigh my poorly ones, oldies or those that are generally frail.
Unfortunately my ancient but reliable, until now , scales have failed me and I need some new ones. Has anyone bought a set "recentlyish" from preferably a nationwide outlet that they can recommend?

Thank you,
Barbara

I bought some kitchen scales from argos. They are in the new catalogue on page 746 item 4. Cat no. 840/2040 £19.99. I just take off the bowl and put a piece of kitchen roll on the base. They are accurate (and come in useful on the odd time I do some baking!) :)

linda.b said:
I bought some kitchen scales from argos. They are in the new catalogue on page 746 item 4. Cat no. 840/2040 £19.99. I just take off the bowl and put a piece of kitchen roll on the base. They are accurate (and come in useful on the odd time I do some baking!) :)

Thank you Linda, why didn't I think of argos, I think I have the latest catalogue here.

Barbara

Always best to weigh your gps often as loss of weight is one of the fisrt signs of illness

Mary

Mary said:
Always best to weigh your gps often as loss of weight is one of the fisrt signs of illness

Mary

That's what is often advised Mary, but for some reason I've never done it. As I have only a small number, like most of us here, and they are handled every day, I use that as an indicator. It works for me, but in theory, yes you are right.

I do weigh the "poorlies" but never the pregnant mums when we have them in, I feel they can do without it, if they appear bright eyed and bushy tailed, there isn't much wrong with them in my opinion. I appreciate others will think differently though and respect that :)

Barbara

I am trying to weigh my guinea pigs weekly, every second time I clean the cage or so. Before putting them back in, I just pop them on the scale.

I got one for under 10 pound from Morrissons, its not the best you can get but its accurate enough... I dont need to know the exact gram of my piggie, as only differences of more than 30 or 50 grams concern me really.

I would like to get a digital one at some point though.

I have the perfect sacles for guinea pigs - they are old sweet shop scales with the torpedo shaped pan. I can only do lb & oz though!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back