• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scarby may be poorly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As you know we are in Cornwall at my parents' and you also know we have been having trouble with Bugs. Scarby never was affected usually but I noticed the other day there were some, so we went to the vet here. She was feeling Scarby and said there was a big lump on the right hand side - possibly an ovarian cyst. I feel terrible not noticing it before (Scarby is soft on the well side and hard on the poorly side) and terrified for Scarby.

We are coming back to Bath on Sunday and Scarby is going to our vet first thing on Monday for an xray/ ultrasound and then whatever . . .

Michele, I know freddie and Jacques have had these. What were the symptoms?

And anyone else please - I would really be grateful for any thoughts. Scarby is about 15 months old and has never had babies.

Got no experience on this love. But am sure he'll be alright.

Always there for you and the boys x

Lucinda.

Dont worry about not noticing it.

With Freddie I took them both for a yearly check up at hte vets and said that I thought Freddie was getting abit fat. The vet had a feel and said that it was a huge ovarian cyst. When She was operated on it was the size of a tangerine and she had some on the other ovary too. She had a full hysterectomy and was out the next day with no problems at all. The vet was very surprised cos the huge cyst had moved her organs around quite a bit. Within 5 days she was fine. Thats was in December 2004

Then 7 months later August 2005 as you know Jacques had the same problem but with her she had a bald patch on her back for all of her life. Vet thought it was hormones. When I picked her up after coming back of holiday, her bald patch had got bigger and the lady who cares for them did say she thought something might be wrong. Well the vets had her in and operated and she had them on both ovaries but not as big as freddies. The problem with JAcques was she didnt recover to well and was in the vets for 3 weeks. As you know she had temporary anoerixa. Myself and the vets were 99% sure she would survive. But she got alot of TLC from the vets, nurses, and I went in every day. Also for her last week Freddie was allowed to go in with her. So that helpped. When I did get her home she developed a cyst in the scar and then one on the back of her neck. So it took a long time for her to recover. Freddie got mites at the same time cos of all the stress with being apart from her sisiter. But they are 100% fine now. (touch wood). Jacques was on alot of medication at one stage. Just be prepared for the worse. I thoguth it would be fine like freddies but JAcques wasnt going to play the same game.

The vets can do a ultrascan on your piggy without putting them to sleep. thats what they did with JAcques. freddie they didnt need to cos it was BIG!. My piggies have never had babies either. Its a big operation but its not the operation thats the promblem as you know its the general. let me know how it goes. if you need to chat give me a shout.

Michele

awwww so sorry to hear this Lucinda

Lots of hugs to you and Scarby

x

Thanks so much for your support and good wishes guys, and especially thank you to Michele for that really helpful post. I really appreciate it. I hav just been reading on Peter Gurney's site about these - he says they can be the size of a golf ball and still not cause the guinea pain and surgery is not always necessary. Anyway, scarby will go to Roger first thing tomorrow and I will keep you all posted.

Thanks again. xx

How is Scarby?

I'm surprise it says if its the size of a golf you dont need to operate. They can burst which would be deadly.

oh Lucinda, please don't worry too much. The first time I was told about Mildred's ovarian cysts I nearly fainted but more often than not, they don't cause any trouble. You just have to keep an eye on them and see that they don't get too big. Mildred's had hers for a long while now and they don't cause any trouble.
Scarby will be fine my love.
xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back