• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scarby's sore mouth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucinda

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Poor Scarby. His mouth is really sore (lips and up to the nose). The first time Fuciderm cleaned it up very well, but this time it did nothing (and neither did aloe vera). So went we went to the vet on Friday and saw Anna and she has changed Scarby's steroid. She says it's not serious, just horrible for poor Scarby.Anyone else suffer from this? The lesions are deep cracks at the corners of the mouth and scabby bits up by the nose. scarby still eating well though.

Sounds like human impetigo doesn't it. I'm sure my son had Fuciderm for it as well.

I know when hubby had a cracked mouth last winter Cymex cleared it up, but I doubt you could use it on poor Scarby.

Sending big (but very gentle) kisses to Scarbs :-* :-*

You can use cymex on pigs and a product called Orabase to keep it on -it makes a coating over the top.

You can get both from the chemist. You might also want to try some Daktarin Oral Gel in the mouth to try and prevent the problem reoccuring.

That sounds like what Misty's mouth looks like.
He's been on 2 lots of antibiotics not done anything.
At first changing the bedding worked but now it's back :(

We are using Daktarin at the moment. One of the lesions has crumbled off, but Scarb is still finding it sore I think.

Also he preferred the taste of Fuciderm ;D

Fussy piggies :D
I'm going to go out later today and see if i can get any of the products to try :)

I was always told veneation violets was good for this apparently it makes the lips go purple but really does work and never feed them apple or fruit while they have this problem as it encourgaes it, it could be genetian violets anyway its in a tiny bottle and is a purple colour

Oh poor Scarby. He just keeps getting one problem after another doesn't he? I hope it clears up soon. What a worry he is :-*

He is!

No, he is off fruit at the moment, and that makes him crosser, as he loves his apple.

Brrrrrr

hi you,

I've only just registered but have been looking at this site for a while and get loads of great info from it.

one of my piggies had a sore nose and mouth for a while and got some cream from the vets called fuciderm ( its a steroid cream) which cleared it up but after a couple of weeks the problem would come back.

went back to the vet and providing you give some the cream a break for a while its fine to use it again. any way the vet thought it was probably down to an allergy to something so we changed the bedding we were using and everything seemed fine and it cleared up. He also shares with another piggy who had no problems at all.

A couple of weeks ago we gave them corn on the cob (one of their favourites) not had any in a while and bingo his lip came up again so i think we have hopefully found the cause. The vet also suggesting using e45 cream to moisturise his nose once it wasn't inflammed any more.

Hope this helps a little

H x

Hello and thanks.

Fuciderm worked very well to start with, but then stopped working. I am now using Dactarin gel.

hi lucinda,

Scruffy also suffered with this used fuciderm too. The vet reckoned it was probably down to an allegy. Tried changing to different bedding etc and all has been fine until we fed him corn on the cob which made it flare up again. so we think we have found the cause hopefully .

H x

i think in Scarby's case it is fruit that sets it off, especially apple and pear.

whoops sorry ! didn't mean to repeat myself.

Hope he's doing ok now

H x

It's not too bad. I'm just keeping Scarby off fruit.

Anyway fruit gives him diarrhoea since his liver cancer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back