• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

scared of bonding my piggies , well PETRIFIED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Becky92

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
After losing my beautful texel I'm now stuck as to what to do in regards to getting her cagemate a friend as i cant take anymore on.

I have 10 piggies in total

A 2 females that might pair up with her but I'm petrified of it going wrong

My possibilities are a 2yr old aby who used to be in a group was tried recently with another but in the wrong way now shes scared of that 'said' piggie , the 'said' piggie whos 2/3 yrs old & aparantly a bossy cow & has been in a group before.

I have NO EXPERIENCE with bonding at all & its very daunting but i *think* shes laid back as my texel was a crazy nutter and bossed her about, i cant see her alone :(

I am a real wimp, i cant stand that they might hurt each other :(

how old is her friend?

i would try bonding her with 2yr old aby.

have you got someone nearby who could help you bond them?

good luck

I would try the abby also.

Just make sure the environment is neutral so neither of them are in each others territory.

Maybe bathe them together so they'll both smell the same, or put a little perfume on your hands so they again will smell the same.

Give them some grass or something to munch on together.

Listen out for a loud chattering noise which means high aggression.

The lonely piggy 'jazz' is around 3. She could be more i dont know. Most of my piggies are from a local woman who keeps them who could possibly help me bond them,but she likes to guilt trip me into taking more on. So she'd probly tell me they wont bond so il take one of hers lol.

Jazz was given to this local women for free as she had already had 2 litters and didnt want her... so she could be any age over 2 really.

i would do as hanwombat said an try jazz with the aby on neutral territory, I'm sure you will be worring over nothing. :))

I suppose I'm just saying what I do. I've only had boars and this is how I would introduce them and I've never had any problems for 10 years (except for one cheeky boar out of 14).

I am introducing a new boar of mine to a pair to become a trio once he is done in quarantine and had his vets visit etc.

You can try and let them have run time together, separated by grids at first and then together when there is positive interest and they are no longer scared of each other. You can help by putting treats on both sides just by the mesh.

Otherwise, where are you? Perhaps an experienced member can help you with bonding?

Here are more tips on how to bond:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38562

I only do the full introduction when the new piggy signals that it is ready and interested in meeting the others - however, long that takes.

Last edited:
Thankyou

ive got a 2 brand new stacks of hutches coming today, hopefully getting piggies swapped into them at the weekend. Jazz has a 5ftx2ft hutch with her name on, it was going to be hers & my texels hutch :(

Il try them together or at least with grids between (that sounds safer)this afternoon because if they get on theyl be able to have that together, as its neutral.

I'm in retford nottinghamshire

Last edited:
I did my first bonding two weeks ago, and it was pretty scary, but it went well overall as the happy couple will now agree!

I was bonding my neutered male Dodge with lauralucy's sow Cherry who she kindly let me have as Cherry wasn't gettin on too well in a big group. I bought an ELC ball pit and kept it just for the bonding. I covered the bottom in a fleece neither piggy had ever been on (it actually came off my bed...that's dedication lol) and put in two little plastic stools they could run and hide under and a wooden log arch, all had at least 2 exits so noone could get trapped. I also put in loads of small bits of celery and carrot (as I knew both of them liked that) 2 bowls of dry food and several piles of hay.

I have a video of the first five minutes but have lost my camera lead! But suffice to say there was a LOT of humping! After a while though Cherry turned round and told Dodge who was boss and reminded him a girl likes to be wooed before she is humped ;) nothing nasty just a warning nip.

I left them there for a good 2 or 3 hours, meanwhile I thoroughly cleaned and sprayed the hutch they were to live in, again neither had ever lived there, and got it all ready. They went in that night with 2 food bowls and hay and food in two places just in case.

We had a bit more humping and such for a couple of days but then it all settled down and now they are like an old married couple! They share the one bowl now and hay from the one hay rack and sleep together when it's cold :)

Good luck, let us know how it goes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back