• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scared there's something wrong with baby pig?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone :) I'll post again in a few hours to say how she is

I will try her licking milk off my fingers later.

I do try to stimulate her poop (thought she nevers goes when I do!) but she goes on her own fine. Not today since she hasn't been eating really.

Oh and does anyone know if natural yoghurt or goat's yoghurt would be good for her? You know for the probiotics and just for energy too.

I started with watered down evaporated milk, very sweet and no pigg can resist!

Then they were fed original complan - advised to me by a top guinea pig lady in guinea pig obstretics, with a dollop of pure pureed baby food (carrot and apple - Ella's Kitchen) mixed in. I was also advised to get some critical care, which i did, but sadly he only lived for one meal. He enjoyed it though.

I dont know about the yoghurt, sorry

Oh and someone asked earlier, she isn't still with her mother, she wasn't able to suckle from her at all.

I think it would be good for her to be put with mum at times, so that she can bond also the stimulation of being with other piggies may help her, only put them together when you can supervise them though, just incase mum tries to snuggle up to her, she may suffocate the baby.

I know you're not meant to syringe feed them but this baby was too weak to drink food from the mother, from a spoon, or anything, she just couldn't do it. Syringe feeding was the best option

I'm sorry if you took this as a criticism, it's not the way I intended it to come across, I was just telling you what I had read in one of his books, and I know people hold him in high regard. I'm sure your doing your best for the baby pig x

You really have done your best for this little one, and from what you said in other posts the syringe feeding was done with great care so the baby was sucking from the end rather than you squeezing too much in, so don't beat yourself up about this. Sometimes although not maybe the best option, it can be the only one. I have used Ellas kitchen, Carrot, parsnip and apple is a favourite. I can't remember if you have other babies with the mum, but it would be worth a try putting her with her supervised, although often a mum will reject a baby if they feel it is not going to thrive. Really hoping this little one makes it. x

I am keeping my fingers crossed - you are doing your very best and that is all you can do. Babies are so very fragile.

I'm sorry if you took this as a criticism, it's not the way I intended it to come across, I was just telling you what I had read in one of his books, and I know people hold him in high regard. I'm sure your doing your best for the baby pig x

Oh I know, I didn't take it as criticism, don't worry. :)

The baby passed away :( It was very sudden. But I'm glad she didn't linger on and suffer, that would be so much worse.

I'm so upset about it, I really loved her. But I've just been playing with my other animals and it made me feel better. I'll really miss her but at least I tried.

The vet stopped by and I told her the piggy died. She said it could have been other things too, like another infection. She said if she had been born healthy then she would probably have made it, but she was weak and tiny from the start so there was never much chance.

I'm glad I took her in and handfed her though, otherwise she would have died much sooner. And she really was happy for the last few days, getting loads of cuddles. :)

I was planning to bond her with my girls and keep her, but hadn't let her near them yet because of risk of infection and because mine live outdoors and she might have gotten cold. At least I didn't get my hopes up too much, but I'm still really upset.

But I will be ok, at least I tried so I don't feel guilty.

Bye baby pig x x

She was so pretty, but so so fragile. Even compared to a newborn, she was about half their size, and she was a week old today.

photo145-1.jpg

Oh that is such sad sad news, i have a tear rolling down my cheek. She sounded like such a sweet little thing.

Like you have said though, you could have done no more for her than what you did, you gave her the best chance at life, its just such a shame she was so weak.

R.I.P Precious one xx

Thanks so much everyone for the advice and good wishes, it means a lot x x x

I'm so sorry that she didn't make it, sometimes no matter what you do these things just aren't meant to be. You really did all you could. RIP little one xx

I really am so sorry. It is heartbreaking losing a little one that you have cared so much for. At least in her very short little life she would have known love. x

They go so quickly!

Well done for all your hard work and dedication, I'm so sorry you lost her x

popcorn forever little one

I hope you take comfort in the fact that you tried your best. I lost some of the animals in my charge on the farm and always had the policy of while there was a chance, they were worth trying - some I won, some I lost, but I tried.

oh how very sad for you, rip baby piggy, run forever free pretty one xx

hope you are ok love, you did your very best, no piggy could ask for any more xxxxxxx x>>

((HUGS))- I'm so sorry that she didn't make it! You gave her a lot of loving care and she was fortunate to have someone who took such an interest and took the time to love and care for her while she was here! RIP little one!

I hope you take comfort in the fact that you tried your best. I lost some of the animals in my charge on the farm and always had the policy of while there was a chance, they were worth trying - some I won, some I lost, but I tried.

Exactly :) You always have to try.

This little pig had so much against her, there could have been other things wrong with her since birth, but at least she had a chance

Thanks everyone :)

The baby passed away :( It was very sudden. But I'm glad she didn't linger on and suffer, that would be so much worse.

I'm so upset about it, I really loved her. But I've just been playing with my other animals and it made me feel better. I'll really miss her but at least I tried.

The vet stopped by and I told her the piggy died. She said it could have been other things too, like another infection. She said if she had been born healthy then she would probably have made it, but she was weak and tiny from the start so there was never much chance.

I'm glad I took her in and handfed her though, otherwise she would have died much sooner. And she really was happy for the last few days, getting loads of cuddles. :)

I was planning to bond her with my girls and keep her, but hadn't let her near them yet because of risk of infection and because mine live outdoors and she might have gotten cold. At least I didn't get my hopes up too much, but I'm still really upset.

But I will be ok, at least I tried so I don't feel guilty.

Bye baby pig x x

Condolences. Its awful having anything pass away but always seems so much worse when they're so young, small and fragile. Well done you for doing what you did, you couldn't have done anymore and at least she passed on in the midst of a loving hug, but nature had already decided. She's up in the big herb garden in the sky, popcorning away mnching on neverending parsley, basil and mint.

These damn pigs. I've never been much of an animal person until I got involved with these but now I'm converted. To pigs anyway. It genuniely upsets me when things like this happen. Curse their extreme cuteness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back