• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

School Classroom Housing Guinea Pigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginniexcarolina

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My mum recently showed me a pic off facebook of one of her friends daughters holding a guinea pig and my mum explained that the girl was "looking after it" for school as the teacher allows certain kids to take turns in taking the guinea pig home and looking after him for a while and other times he will stay in the school classroom.. i dont know much else about the situation but i wanted to know if i was the only one that was so shocked by it? like the fact that they just send this poor guinea pig home with different kids every other week/month for some sort of education for the kids is just ridiculous to me the pig is probably so scared.. and how do they know that its getting fed/watered and even cared for properly? I dont know when i heard about it it made me so angry :no:

Any thoughts?

My mum recently showed me a pic off facebook of one of her friends daughters holding a guinea pig and my mum explained that the girl was "looking after it" for school as the teacher allows certain kids to take turns in taking the guinea pig home and looking after him for a while and other times he will stay in the school classroom.. i dont know much else about the situation but i wanted to know if i was the only one that was so shocked by it? like the fact that they just send this poor guinea pig home with different kids every other week/month for some sort of education for the kids is just ridiculous to me the pig is probably so scared.. and how do they know that its getting fed/watered and even cared for properly? I dont know when i heard about it it made me so angry :no:

Any thoughts?

Ughhhhh this makes me so mad! The poor little thing is probably in a tiny cage and the fact that it doesn't have a companion is awful. Not to mention the fact that getting carted around to different homes will be stressing it out to the max.

I think we've seen this before, I know there's a culture in the US for having class pets (I think it's meant to teach responsibility).

It's a double edged sword really, if the GP is being looked after correctly, and the kids are taught the fundamentals of good care and are held to account for it, if the school is prepared to cover vet bills etc, then it can be beneficial.

The more likely scenario is as the previous poster stated that the GP is being kept in a small cage, and probably chosen as they'd consider it a 'disposable' animal.

In the UK they only let us near anything living in tertiary education, we were to look after chickens from egg to adult so that the lower years could appreciate the life phases of a chicken.

:( When I was in Infant school, back in the 60's, we had a class Guinea Pig, can't remember the size of cage but I remember vividly that one horrible boy didn't treat the piggie well at all. I wont go into details but it upset me dreadfully :(

:( When I was in Infant school, back in the 60's, we had a class Guinea Pig, can't remember the size of cage but I remember vividly that one horrible boy didn't treat the piggie well at all. I wont go into details but it upset me dreadfully :(

And he probably grew up to treat people exactly the same way :) Probably now disproved, but mistreating animals as a child (beyond the normal stuff) is a good indicator of future behaviour.

Poor pig :( I remember we used to have a class hamster in Year 2 (about 6 yrs old) my brother was the only one who could handle it without being bitten so we got it every weekend!

In senior school of the teachers kept gerbils in his science lab, but when he retired they all went with him. They were lovely

Ughhhhh this makes me so mad! The poor little thing is probably in a tiny cage and the fact that it doesn't have a companion is awful. Not to mention the fact that getting carted around to different homes will be stressing it out to the max.

that's exactly what i was thinking and i didn't even realise it was allowed!

I think we've seen this before, I know there's a culture in the US for having class pets (I think it's meant to teach responsibility).

It's a double edged sword really, if the GP is being looked after correctly, and the kids are taught the fundamentals of good care and are held to account for it, if the school is prepared to cover vet bills etc, then it can be beneficial.

The more likely scenario is as the previous poster stated that the GP is being kept in a small cage, and probably chosen as they'd consider it a 'disposable' animal.

In the UK they only let us near anything living in tertiary education, we were to look after chickens from egg to adult so that the lower years could appreciate the life phases of a chicken.

i understand that the school can be keeping them in good conditions i just think about it in a small portable cage going from home to home not being able to settle in and relax! I just can't really believe that all parents of the children would provide everything like hay and veggies for him :/

i just think back to when i first got my two girls and how long it took them to properly settle in + be comfortable with me holding them etc..

i understand that the school can be keeping them in good conditions i just think about it in a small portable cage going from home to home not being able to settle in and relax! I just can't really believe that all parents of the children would provide everything like hay and veggies for him :/

i just think back to when i first got my two girls and how long it took them to properly settle in + be comfortable with me holding them etc..

That's not what I meant, I meant that if the school were to provide the necessary education and resources to the pupils then it would be beneficial, assuming that the students acted on the knowledge they were given, I qualified this with the belief that they are most probably not, if that makes sense?

that's exactly what i was thinking about.. certain kids that would treat them bad or even just not know how to handle them!

That's not what I meant, I meant that if the school were to provide the necessary education and resources to the pupils then it would be beneficial, assuming that the students acted on the knowledge they were given, I qualified this with the belief that they are most probably not, if that makes sense?

Sorry i misunderstood but yes i agree and i would hope they do that! all i know is that the kids are pretty young

I'm just upset. It's hard enough getting piggies to settle into their permanent cage, but the poor hamster going here and there, no stable owner...urgh. I know how hard I work, making sure my piggies have everything they need and want, I can't imagine a a school doing that.
Anyway, I'm not sure, but wouldn't a noisy school environment upset a hamster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back