• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Seagrass Hide

LillyB

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
I brought a 3 tunnel Seagrass Hide for my piggies, although they love to lie in it, they have manage to totally destroy and pull it apart! Is Seagrass dangerous for them?
I have taken it out of their cage now as they have made holes in it and worried they will eat it all! I have replaced it with a fleece tunnel, which they have turned their noses up at......purely because they can't chew it!
Is there a better or recommended hide to get for them that they won't destroy?
Also.....their cage is in a shed and we have fitted an extractor fan for the hot weather. Thinking ahead to when the weather starts to get colder (horrible thought!), what is the best way to keep them warm? I have seen several different heat pads online, just want to make sure i get the right thing for them.
I cover their cage at night with a fleece - making sure I leave one side clear so they can breathe and get some light in.
Any tips gratefully received 😃 Thankyou x

It’s fine for them to destroy the seagrass tunnels - it’s the fun of them!
You can also use cardboard tunnels (but they will also be destroyed)

Mine are also in a shed.
For winter, they have loads of hay, fleece tunnels (but they don’t always dry well enough being outside in colder weather so I only give them to them overnight to keep warm and then dry/wash and dry them during the day). they also have snugglesafe microwaveable heat pads (I have four of them between my two piggies (one under each tunnel/hide)). Then blankets over the hutch, then a thermal hutch cover.
Also make sure you’ve got a thermometer and a plan to bring them indoors if you can’t maintain their temperature in their shdd.

Thats great, thankyou so much for your advice and putting my mind at rest with the Seagrass hide! I will put it back into their cage for them, which I'm sure will put me back in their good books hahah! 🤣

I will definitely buy some microwaveable heat pads for them for the colder weather.
Have got a thermometer in the shed.....i made sure that was one of the first things I got so I can keep an eye on them 😃 We have brought them inside a couple of times when it got really hot.....they loved the location change and totally fascinated with the TV!

Cant believe i have had them for 4 weeks already......they have completely stolen my heart lol! :D x

In winter you won’t be able to bring them in and out. Once the temperature drops, it has to be one or the other - they don’t like large temperature fluctuations. If you have to bring them in due to not being warm enough outside then they will have to stay in.
Do you have a hutch, you say cage rather than hutch? Keeping them warm enough in a cage (c&c or commercial) can be harder. If they do have a cage (although this idea will work perfectly in a hutch as well) then I would put fleece blankets over the top of hides with a snugglesafe under the hide as it’ll help hold warmth within the hide
It doesn’t take long to become completely besotted by them!

Thats really good to know, thankyou 😃 I will make sure we don't keep moving them.
Yes, they have a C&C cage.....it has the ramp and mezzanine level. I have already brought plenty of fleeces ready for when it gets colder, (I like to be prepared!). The snugglesafes are the next item to get them...they sound perfect! They love the fleece lining inside the cage - especially when it's all been cleaned and fresh hay etc is put in there! The popcorning is so funny to watch when they first go back in their clean cage! 🤣 Thankyou again! X

Piggies love destroying sea grass items - it’s part of the joy for them. Snugglesafes as great for helping to keep piggies warm in winter. But you may wish to look at getting a shed heater. I’ve dug iut a couple of old threads below where heating of sheds was discussed and recommendations made. Hope you find them helpful

Shed Heaters-cheap to run ones
Heating for shed

Thats great, thankyou 😃 My piggies are, as I type, enjoying having their Seagrass hide back and destroying it! 🤣
The idea of a heater with a thermostat was something my husband thought of. He has run electricity into their shed so that would also be an option 👍I have ordered a couple of Snugglesafes too so will be ready for all options!
Thankyou x

Mine have just had a new seagrass house - it was in the cage less than 5 minutes before they started the destruction.
Yours will really enjoy playing in it and destroying it

Back