• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sebaceous cyst treatment options

Jon880

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Jul 1, 2024
Messages
31
Reaction score
45
Points
175
Location
Swansea
Hello, yet another post about Apricot, who's battling arthritis and ovarian cysts but now has an increasingly bothersome sebaceous cyst.

Apricot is on multi-modal pain relief and has had a suprelorin injection for the ovarian issues. She's also started on laser therapy for her arthritis. We've been managing the sebaceous cyst with regular cleaning and F10 barrier ointment, but it has become infected- requiring a course of antibiotics - and seems increasingly distracting for Apricot.

Given all Apricot's other health issues, and her long term weight loss, I've been reluctant to subject her to an operation to remove the cyst but are there any other options I can discuss with the vet?
20260728_095406.webp
 
Sorry I don’t have the experience to advise but want to offer you support.
Beautiful Apricot is so lucky to have such a caring and loving owner.
Hugs 🤗
 
Poor Apricot. ❤️

My Patrick has a large cyst. It’s in the middle of his back so thankfully he can’t bother it. It does annoy him though. I’ve spoken to my vet and she has recommended a quick operation to remove it. She said it’s a quick procedure so they don’t need lots of anaesthetic.

Good luck.
 
Just a quick follow up to say that sadly I had to have Apricot PTS this afternoon.

While her sebaceous cyst cleared up after repeated washes with Hibiscrub, and I took her for regular laser therapy for her arthritis, sadly she succumbed to a tumour which must have been the cause of her persistent weight loss since last year.

The frustrating thing is that she was perky and lively with a good appetite until the last day. But she was down to just 765g today, from 790g on 12 September and a peak weight of 1.2kg in 2025. It just wasn't tenable to carry on the way things were.
 
I'm sorry, it's never an easy decision to let our beloved piggies go but when they are suffering it's the kindest.
Sleep tight sweet Apricot.
 
Back
Top