• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Sebaceous cyst

triciamcrannolds81

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Is surgery NECESSARY for a sebaceous cyst? My boy has one on his head, I gently got the gunk squeezed out and kept it clean. Now its not leaking anything and seems to be scabbing over. Advice from someone who has dealt with this at home possibly I would love advice

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Your piggy needs to see a vet to have it checked. We don’t recommend home treatments.

triciamcrannolds81

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Yeah I'm aware that the vet is the best choice but in my small town the vet is only in a couple of days and I can't get in!

triciamcrannolds81

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Its definitely sebaceous cyst the vet saw a picture and said if hes eating and drinking he will be ok to wait so if I can do stuff at home until then I'm sure it is better than nothing and I am aware the vet is needed that doesn't help me right now

pig in the city

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
It depends where the cyst is. On the face l would tend to get it removed as if it gets bigger it can be difficult to remove, there isn't enough skin to close the wound.
If cysts are small and on the back they can be left but do need regular cleaning out. Given the choice, if a piggy is fit enough, l would get them removed.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
:agr: with @pig in the city

Any cysts in more sensitive locations like the head and neck, near limbs (mobility) or genitalia are generally worth operating out as cysts can suddenly blow up and require a much more critical emergency operation when they start tripling or quadrupling in size over 24 hours.

It would be good speak to your vets and see whether they recommend a removal or not in view of their Covid-19 restrictions.