• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Second floor?

Piggies7103

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a second part to the cage. It’s a 3 by 5 c and c cage. I wanted to go along the back part(that’s 5) and make a 1 by 5 second floor. It would be 2 grids of the bottom, and have 2 ramps. Does that sound like a good idea or is it a bad idea? Any recommendations on other ways I can put a second floor in and be able to easily clean the cage?

You can put a 5x1 second level in, but it would need support as it is too big of a span to hold itself.
Also, do be aware that not all piggies will use ramps and second levels don’t count towards the cage size.

I have a second floor and I find it really useful to use as their kitchen area. You might have to put them up on the second floor to find their way down a few times, then they should start to naturally go up (that’s how I got mine to use it).

My second floor is supported by two metal struts that hook over the c&c grids below to stop the plastic warping. I got my whole set up from a company, so they provided the second level bits and bobs for me.

Would love to see pictures if you decide to go for it 👍🏻

i have a 1x3 upper level on a 3x4 cage i love filling it with all there cosy items to make a snug little bedroom and they love it because they have a lovely view of the fridge from up there.

I have a 2x2 on a 2x5 c&c cage and the Guinea pigs love to run up and down, I also use it for their food which is very useful.
The problem I find is that when cleaning the whole cage, you have to get under the loft part which is really difficult if you don't actually get in the cage, and if the Guinea pigs are right at the back then you can't reach them so it can be quite frustrating.
Maybe it wouldn't be an issue if you just had a 1x2 loft but it's still something to consider.

I have had piggies who love a second floor and those who don't.
All I would say is give it a try and see what your own piggies think and how you get on with cleaning with it in place.

Back