• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Second opinion?

Maryjames

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Guys. You were all so helpful last time so I'm hoping you can come through for me again. So Pickles has lost her hair and a bit of weight. We know she has a fibroid cyst. Pets at home Vets said she should be spayed but warned me that due to her age (4.5 years old) she might have a problem with anesthesia and well you know what else. I didn't feel right about this and took her to another vets who take care of small furries and that vet said to leave it be. She said they probably won't grow any bigger and why risk surgery. She said if she's eating and drinking then leave it. Lately I've notice her sleeping more and she lost some more weight (about an ounce) still eating and drinking. What should I do? I'm at a loss with these two opinions.

There are plenty of people on here who have had their piggies spayed at 4 years old and older who have sailed through surgery.

My late Emma had an ovarian cyst. It was causing her no problems so we decided to leave it. But she was nearly 6 years old and had cancer

There are plenty of people on here who have had their piggies spayed at 4 years old and older who have sailed through surgery.

My late Emma had an ovarian cyst. It was causing her no problems so we decided to leave it. But she was nearly 6 years old and had cancer
How do you know a guinea pig has cancer?

I’ve had older sows spayed on health grounds and they have sailed through the procedure. However, I am lucky to have excellent vets. Have you checked out any of the recommended vets on our vet locator?

Betsy had to have an emergency spay in the middle of Lockdown due to ovarian cysts. They were so large even I could feel them. She screamed every time she was picked up, spent most of the time in one place, was a moody cow, had elongated and crusty nipples and lost a lot of fur so looked a scraggly little madam. I was worried that the cysts would burst. She was just over 4 years old when she had the op. She sailed through it. She is now back to the beautiful girl that she was. At cuddletime tonight she just melted straight into a puddle.:wub:

Betsy Ovarian Cysts?

It's never bad to ask a second opinion and to weigh the pros and cons of any procedure. One thing to consider- at 4.5 years old she will have an easier time than a major operation than she will at an older age, should the situation change over time. She is never going to be younger/fitter for surgery than she is now, know what I mean? Just something else to consider. Unfortunately there's no clear 'right' solution, you have to talk to your vet and see ultimately what you are the most comfortable with.

I’ve had older sows spayed on health grounds and they have sailed through the procedure. However, I am lucky to have excellent vets. Have you checked out any of the recommended vets on our vet locator?
I have. None are in my area of Hampshire.

It's never bad to ask a second opinion and to weigh the pros and cons of any procedure. One thing to consider- at 4.5 years old she will have an easier time than a major operation than she will at an older age, should the situation change over time. She is never going to be younger/fitter for surgery than she is now, know what I mean? Just something else to consider. Unfortunately there's no clear 'right' solution, you have to talk to your vet and see ultimately what you are the most comfortable with.
Yes you are so right. I have an appointment with a woman called Sandra at the Vets located at Pets at home in Salisbury. Has anyone ever dealt with her?

Hi Guys. You were all so helpful last time so I'm hoping you can come through for me again. So Pickles has lost her hair and a bit of weight. We know she has a fibroid cyst. Pets at home Vets said she should be spayed but warned me that due to her age (4.5 years old) she might have a problem with anesthesia and well you know what else. I didn't feel right about this and took her to another vets who take care of small furries and that vet said to leave it be. She said they probably won't grow any bigger and why risk surgery. She said if she's eating and drinking then leave it. Lately I've notice her sleeping more and she lost some more weight (about an ounce) still eating and drinking. What should I do? I'm at a loss with these two opinions.
I went through the same thing with my piggy last year ( same age as yours ) I ended up doing hormone injections ( 2 rounds ) and that took care of the problem right away. Good luck ! 💕

I went through the same thing with my piggy last year ( same age as yours ) I ended up doing hormone injections ( 2 rounds ) and that took care of the problem right away. Good luck ! 💕
Hi there. Can I ask what vet you used? Everyone I spoke to won't do the hormone injections. I have no idea why.

I don’t know what part of Hampshire you’re in but if you’re anywhere near Swindon I highly recommend Drove Veterinary Hospital.
I used to live in Marlborough and went to them.
They spayed 2 of my piggies - one as an emergency when she went in for an abscess removal and fast growing cysts were discovered.
Jemimah was over 3 years old and sailed through the double surgery.

Holding you in my thoughts

I can recommend a good piggie vet in Poole. That's not too far away from Fordingbridge. Rachel Tucker is at Vets4Pets at Poole Holes Bay. She gave Betsy her emergency spay and also saved the life of Christian before she moved there. Rachel is a very good vet. She was at my old Vets4Pets in Eastleigh and she moved down to Poole Holes Bay a couple of years ago. She is the only reason I go to the Vets4Pets at Poole Holes Bay.

Thank you so much. I will call her first thing tomorrow. Pickles has lost weight and is eating and drinking but still not her happy self. She just sort of lays in her bed all day. She doesn’t seem to be in pain but the weight loss has me worried so I think I am going to have her spayed. I’m worried this is only going to get worse. The vets that I had the second opinion with told me to do nothing but with the weight loss of three ounces that’s big. 🙁 How long did it take to recover from the surgery. You mentioned you had two that she did surgery for. Were they both spayed?

Betsy took about a week to recover from her spay and Christian had a mahoosive abscess removed that was adhered to most of his internal organs.

This is the size of the abscess that Rachel removed.

Christian Abscess 1.JPGChristian Abscess 2.JPG

😮 oh my word. That is amazing. I'm so happy your babies are ok. Any special instructions for aftercare? Food, bedding, etc? Will they put a color on so they don't tear out the stitches?

No a collar isn't necessary for a piggy. Mine never pulled out the stitches. A vet that even suggests putting a collar on a guinea pig really doesn't know what they are talking about!

The vet/vet nurses will give you all the info on aftercare. You will probably have to syringe feed for a couple of days after the operation. There is a guide on how to do this but I can't link it in on this device.

Back