Second Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed55

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We want to get a piggy friend for our pig. Our current pig is 1.75 years male, has not been neutered. We adopted him and he came solo (link to story: https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/how-i-happened-upon-our-pig.124412/). We can't give him all the cuddles he wants even though we try, he always wants to come out and hang with us and can't get enough. He really is a nice and social pig.

I learned that there is an animal shelter nearby that has automatic 2 week quarantine for rodents and automatic spaying and neutering for all animals that are adopted out. Sometimes they have guinea pigs!

We're thinking of getting him a female friend, supposing that has the best chances of working out long term. (And above I mentioned there wouldn't be chance of pregnancy due to spaying!) Thoughts? I have heard of piggy dating, but he hates traveling. And if I bring a pig home I'd have to keep the pig... I get attached too quickly :(. I would separate them if I had to, but looking for best chances not to have to do this! ;)

AlexAys

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Neutering male guinea pigs is considered safer than spaying a female. However if they already have a spayed female then I would go for that. Your current pig would be most likely very happy with that ( but do all the usual recommendations with regards to introducing on neutral territory etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.