Separating Pigs At First- Cages?

lilyandluna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
I am welcoming a new Guinea pig into my home on Monday. She is going to be a companion to Lily. I am picking her up from a foster family about three hours away. When I get her home, I know I should separate them a few days before bonding.

The problem is, I dont have another cage and we like to keep all guineas in a certain room because one of my family members is allergic to hay.

My cage for Lily is two midwest cages connected in a "L" shape with a ramp I can put up between the two.
Would it not work to put them each in one side? Do you think they would be able to smell each other? Would it even be okay for them to be in the same room?
Also, how long do you think I should wait to let them interact/bond?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You say foster family so am I right to assume she’s from a rescue? If so you can skip quarantine if they’ve been health checked and are clear. Give her a few days to settle in then you can do the introduction.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
As long as piggy is healthy then they are fine to be next to each other for a few days before doing the actual bonding.

lilyandluna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You say foster family so am I right to assume she’s from a rescue? If so you can skip quarantine if they’ve been health checked and are clear. Give her a few days to settle in then you can do the introduction.
Yes she’s been through a vet and was cleared and they double checked the gender.