• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

separation and bar chewing

holliesky12

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi everyone i just needed some advice. i had to separate my 2 boars blood was drawn and they were fighting it was not very nice to see. so we separated them into to hutches there good size hutches 2 tiers and one in each hutch. the hutches are put next to each other so they can still see each other but not hurt each other at the same time, we also have 2 separate play pens so they can still see each other and have new scenery and to play. but they still chew the bars some days they chew the bar constantly some days not so much. i change there set up 2-3 times a week so there not board and they do have toys but there attention spam is low so there not always interested in the toys. i was just wondering is there any more things i can do to help them stop chewing the bars as i know chewing bars is not normal. thank you.

The bar chewing is possibly a sign they want to get to each other, but it’s not necessarily a positive sign. If needed you could always move so they can’t see each other. Then try again and it would hopefully have calmed down.

As for toys, piggies aren’t really into toys. A cardboard box they can ‘renovate’ or a paper bag (handles cut off) stuffed with hay and veg hidden within is more appealing to them. Have a read of the enrichment guide for more ideas.
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

:agr:
It’s something that happens in separated piggies, but they need to be able to interact so there isn’t a whole lot you can do (other than siikibam’s suggestion)

Is bonding them with another piggy each an option? It would be better for the long term if that’s possible

The bar chewing is possibly a sign they want to get to each other, but it’s not necessarily a positive sign. If needed you could always move so they can’t see each other. Then try again and it would hopefully have calmed down.

As for toys, piggies aren’t really into toys. A cardboard box they can ‘renovate’ or a paper bag (handles cut off) stuffed with hay and veg hidden within is more appealing to them. Have a read of the enrichment guide for more ideas.
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs
ok thank you i will give your suggestions a try :)

:agr:
It’s something that happens in separated piggies, but they need to be able to interact so there isn’t a whole lot you can do (other than siikibam’s suggestion)

Is bonding them with another piggy each an option? It would be better for the long term if that’s possible
ok i was wondering if bonding a pup with them would work but my big fear is if they didn't get along with there bonded friend. would having a young pup be better than a grown guinea pig and what gender would be best ?

ok i was wondering if bonding a pup with them would work but my big fear is if they didn't get along with there bonded friend. would having a young pup be better than a grown guinea pig and what gender would be best ?

Age is not really a consideration when it comes to a successful bond. Character compatibility is the most vital part of a successful bond. The safest way to find a new friend is to enlist the help of a rescue centre ideally via boar dating. The piggies choose their own friends so this results in a better bond and you only bring home a piggy with whom they are compatible.
Buying a piggy on spec, particularly a youngster means you will need a plan b in case bonding fails - you may end up with one of them bonding but the other not, at worst both could fail and you end up with four single piggies.
They would likely get on fine with a youngster until the youngster reaches his teens and then it’s anybodys guess as to what happens when the youngster gets his own ideas on dominance.

You would need to consider the hutch sizes you have - two boars need a hutch of 180cm x 60cm to have enough space to live with another boar. They can live with a sow in less space.

For your current piggies, age is a factor though - if they are teens themselves, then attempting to bond with another boar at this point could be problematic, so neutering them having the six week wait to become infertile and them bonding them with a sow each (again with the help of a rescue centre) may be best.

Sometimes piggies bite the bars and lay next to the boundry to ensure that the other piggie knows that it is HIS territory.territorial behaviour! in my experience it dies down after two weeks.good luck ,i hope it all gets sorted.

Age is not really a consideration when it comes to a successful bond. Character compatibility is the most vital part of a successful bond. The safest way to find a new friend is to enlist the help of a rescue centre ideally via boar dating. The piggies choose their own friends so this results in a better bond and you only bring home a piggy with whom they are compatible.
Buying a piggy on spec, particularly a youngster means you will need a plan b in case bonding fails - you may end up with one of them bonding but the other not, at worst both could fail and you end up with four single piggies.
They would likely get on fine with a youngster until the youngster reaches his teens and then it’s anybodys guess as to what happens when the youngster gets his own ideas on dominance.

You would need to consider the hutch sizes you have - two boars need a hutch of 180cm x 60cm to have enough space to live with another boar. They can live with a sow in less space.

For your current piggies, age is a factor though - if they are teens themselves, then attempting to bond with another boar at this point could be problematic, so neutering them having the six week wait to become infertile and them bonding them with a sow each (again with the help of a rescue centre) may be best.
ok thank you i had no idea recuse do that. i will have a look :)

Sometimes piggies bite the bars and lay next to the boundry to ensure that the other piggie knows that it is HIS territory.territorial behaviour! in my experience it dies down after two weeks.good luck ,i hope it all gets sorted.
thank you. Gus (my piggie) normally lays by the bars or in the hidey. i hope it dies down :)

Back