• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Seperated Piggie and Behaviour issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

jema

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,

I got two babies to keep my older boy company about 3 months ago. They were 7 weeks old. About two weeks ago I noticed a little dominance play but nothing that I had not already seen before. Then a few days later when I went to get them out for play time I noticed blood on the bedding and found it was coming from my older boar. I though first it was from a wound in his paw until I realised a good chunk of his ear was missing as well.

I did not know who it was so I got them all out in the living room and watched. Nothing happened for a while till the smaller of the two babies started to square up to the other two. Soon he had all of them making dominate calls and they were showing danger signs. I tried to separate them and managed to get bitten in the process. Since then, I have removed the small gp to a separate cage next to the original one. I have tried introducing him back in but he always starts a fight within about 2 mins of being with them so I think he’s destine to be on his own. He is not just hostile towards other gp's. He has bitten me a few times and wants nothing to do with me. He is very strong and solid for his size. Since I have taken him out the other two still have spats but at the normal level and are much more relaxed and loving as well.

I am thinking of having him castrated, do people think that this would help at all? Or any other suggestion would be good.

Thanks!

neutering a piggy has no effect on his temprement it just stops him being able to have babies :)) but its a good idea if you want to pair him up with a girlie :) he might be happier with a girl, i wouldnt try and re-introduce the boys until the little ones are over the hormonal stage whihc should be around the 9-12 months mark but even then it might not work.

good luck.

Hi,

With boys I go by the saying two's company 3's a crowd. Some may disagree but this is my opinion.

I would get him castrated and get him a girlfriend (rescue if possible)

Maureen

We have 5 boy guinea pigs. Originally we had Teddy our first boy and abby's 3 boys in the cage with him. The babies are named Purr Pig, Coal and Sir Ridgelton. At first they were all fine together but as they got a bit older we noticed that Purr pig was rumblestrutting to everyone and just causing general upset in the man pig cage so we took him and sir ridgelton and put them in their own large cage.

This arrangement was fine for about 3 months but eventually they started fighting everyday. At first I didn't think much of it because no one had any visible wounds and I could usually stop it if I sprayed them with a water bottle when they started rumbling to each other.

But then one time I was holding sir ridgelton and I noticed he had a lump with a wound on it on his neck. We kept an eye on it and healed nicely but then about 2 weeks later I came home from work and found purr pigs ear ripped nearly in half. This was the last straw

Its been 2 or 3 months now that Purr Pig and Sir Ridgelton have been living in their own separate cage, and they are seem to be perfectly fine with that.

Purr pig talks to us ALL the time, popcorning and squeaking and jumping up on things. Sir ridgleton tends to hide out a bit more and doesn't really enjoy being handled besides having his face petted through the bars. I think some guinea pigs just really don't like being handled and for that reason I don't push sir ridelton to be more friendly i just let him have his space.

Now living with Teddy we have Porky and Coal and the trio gets along great. Ted is the tough but gentle alpha pig and the other 2 respect his leadership and don't cause fights

If thinking about neutering, please consider his age. My 6 month old came out of the op no bother as if he had been in for a brush, not the chop, but my 9 month old didn't fare so well, and we have only just got rid of the post op abcess he got bless him.

Also please make sure you use a vet who is used to the op, and knows what they are doing with guineas. If you need recommendations, let us know your area :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back