Serious or no?

nbhalla19

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Have a guinea pig who is about a year and a half old. Noticed last week she's not eating as much hay as normal. She's eating vegetables and treats and everything else and is running around and all. She'll run when i have carrot. Drank a little water but she doesn't drink a whole lot in general. She has lost no weight though(it's within 1-2 ounces). Very active and alert and keeps eating vegetables. Could she just be being fussy. She's a diva/bully haha, she doesn't eat stale carrots or bannanas haha. Maybe get a different kind of hay. I would take her to the vet immediately but she has no weight loss and is running around and eating as many carrots as she sees.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Hay is the most important part of the diet. Veg should be kept limited to 50 grams per day. Carrots and fruit should not be fed more than a small amount once a week due to their high sugar levels.
Keep weighing her to ensure she isn’t losing weight. Also you keep veg limited to 50g and pellets limited to one tablespoon to encourage plenty of hay eating
A vet check would be a good idea if she eats less and loses weight

nbhalla19

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hay is the most important part of the diet. Veg should be kept limited to 50 grams per day. Carrots and fruit should not be fed more than a small amount once a week due to their high sugar levels.
Keep weighing her to ensure she isn’t losing weight. Also you keep veg limited to 50g and pellets limited to one tablespoon to encourage plenty of hay eating
A vet check would be a good idea if she eats less and loses weight
Do you think I may be giving her to many vegetables and as a result she likes that more and refuses to eat hay? I’m thinking of not giving her any more food so she’s forced to eat hay And eat that again.like I said no weight loss as of now.

nbhalla19

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I don’t know how much veg you’ve been feeding but if you’ve been over doing the veg, then possibly. But there could also be medical reasons behind refusal to eat hay. Too much veg can cause tummy upsets etc.

This is our feeding guide
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Yeah. She doesn’t seem ill. Running around and alert as usual. No weight loss. I have an appointment with vet Friday until then only gay and her vitamin c supplement treats. I’d she starts eating hay again she’s probably fine.

nbhalla19

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Update: when I came home from work her hay bowl was full. I didn't give her any carrots, despite her bullying me haha. So at the end she finally ate the hay. When I woke up in the morning it was gone. She was just being picky. Her weight is the same to. All good it seems.