• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Severe Dental Disease and Teeth Issues

Flowergirl255

Junior Guinea Pig
Joined
Sep 30, 2026
Messages
5
Reaction score
3
Points
55
Location
United Kingdom
Hi, my guinea pig is only 3 years old and he had a dental under general anaesthetic 2 weeks ago and they found that he has severe dental disease, his teeth were very uneven as one side was higher than the other and forming almost a bridge and some teeth were growing in the wrong direction and he had a hole in his cheek. His front teeth were also growing slanted and his tongue was starting to be trapped. He had his checkup 10 days post op and the vet was unhappy with his teeth and said they had grown very fast and were looking the same as before the dental and she wants him to have another dental in 4 weeks time. I’m terrified for him have surgery again especially so soon and she said he’ll need to have this done regularly which isn’t really possible so I’m going to lose him soon. I didn’t like her attitude and she was incredibly negative and he’s my absolute baby, I hand reared him from birth and I can’t lose him. Could anyone offer any advice or suggest any vets to try? I’m in the UK. Anything at all would be massively appreciated!

Thank you!
 
I’m so sorry your piggy is poorly. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

There is a very good dental vet in Northampton. I don’t know if that is near you? It’s the Cat and Rabbit Vet.

I do know from experience that dental issues can be an ongoing issue.
 
I’m so sorry your piggy is poorly. Whereabouts in the UK are you?

There is a very good dental vet in Northampton. I don’t know if that is near you? It’s the Cat and Rabbit Vet.

I do know from experience that dental issues can be an ongoing issue.
Thank you so much for replying! I’m about 3 hours away from Northampton but I’ll travel anywhere if they can help! Do you know what prices are like there?
 
The prices are very reasonable.

Are you closer to Swindon? I’ve just found a lovely exotic vet here.
 
It’s Drove Vets, 252 Croft Road, Swindon, SN1 4RW
The exotic vet is called Sara.
Telephone number 01793 522483.
They won’t be able to do the procedure that day I don’t think.
But you could call them and ask their advice and maybe your vet could share the notes.
Good luck. I hope they can help.

She hasn’t done any dentals for my piggies but she has been brilliant with saving my piggies eye and also operating on a bladder stone.
 
Back
Top