• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Sharing playpen toys and hideys?

PigglePuggle

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was wondering whether anyone who has 2 groups of piggies can advise as to how one group of piggies would react if another group had been using their playpen toys and hideys. Would they be upset if their hidey houses and tunnels have been peed in by another set of piggies they dont live with? Or would it be quite interesting for them and just lead to extra pee spraying leaving messages for the other group?
Hopefully next week we will be adopting a husboar for Tallulah to live with and it would be easier if they could use some of the same hidey houses and tunnels as the main herd when they have their separate playpen times... but I dont want to upset the husboars with their favorite playthings smelling of some other boar's wee!

I was wondering whether anyone who has 2 groups of piggies can advise as to how one group of piggies would react if another group had been using their playpen toys and hideys. Would they be upset if their hidey houses and tunnels have been peed in by another set of piggies they dont live with? Or would it be quite interesting for them and just lead to extra pee spraying leaving messages for the other group?
Hopefully next week we will be adopting a husboar for Tallulah to live with and it would be easier if they could use some of the same hidey houses and tunnels as the main herd when they have their separate playpen times... but I dont want to upset the husboars with their favorite playthings smelling of some other boar's wee!

My piggies share a roaming area, which is kind of neutral territory and is marked by all of them when they time-share. They love to trash each other's dirty laundry on cleaning day; it is one of the sensory perks. Mine are now used to time sharing and even to share hideys around, but they see themselves as part of a colony of small groups settling together and feeding together the way their wild cousins from which they have been bred out from thousands of years ago still do.

Initially you can get a rather strong reaction. If a leader is feeling stressed, they can turn on their underpigs.
You have to be very careful with boar pairs and rather have different sets of bedding and hideys, especially with teenage boars or if you roam boar pairs and sows in the same area; boars always have precedence for obvious reasons. Some of them can be extremely sensitive about what they consider their territory; they must always come first.

You can find plenty of roaming videos on my Wiebke's Tribe facebook page; there is a link in my signature.

Thanks! The main group is quite used to Tallulah now as she has lived next door for 2 months (despite her failed bonding/huge fight with Clover they tolerate each other as neighbours with occasional teeth chattering) but I'm not sure what Theo will make of a rival male in the house. Tallulah and the new husboar will be living in another room but they will all see and smell each other as neighbours for a few hours on playpen/cage clean days if it isnt too stressful for the husboars.
Hopefully Theo will be ok as he's a very laid back submissive little chap who much prefers sleeping and eating to rumblestrutting but I will be watching carefully to see if another male in the house stirs up a sudden burst of testosterone!

Thanks! The main group is quite used to Tallulah now as she has lived next door for 2 months (despite her failed bonding/huge fight with Clover they tolerate each other as neighbours with occasional teeth chattering) but I'm not sure what Theo will make of a rival male in the house. Tallulah and the new husboar will be living in another room but they will all see and smell each other as neighbours for a few hours on playpen/cage clean days if it isnt too stressful for the husboars.
Hopefully Theo will be ok as he's a very laid back submissive little chap who much prefers sleeping and eating to rumblestrutting but I will be watching carefully to see if another male in the house stirs up a sudden burst of testosterone!

The boys will work out a hierarchy through the bars by rumblestrutting (which is their way of measuring up); I call this a 'boar haka'. All 8 Tribe boars know where they stand in relation to the others. They'll get excited sniffing each other's messages on the floor and will replace them with their own. Things will calm down over time. You can find several videos on that score on my fb page; the majority of my groups and pairs have got a (neutered) boar in the mix.

Here is a video of a fall-out boar pair that overnighted at my place en route from the South Coast to The Potteries Guinea Pig Rescue:

Thanks! The first step is Tallulah's date of course to see if she gets on with her intended husboar, but we have a proper date set up with a forum rescue piggy on Monday so hopefully they will fall in love! Or at least not attack each other then we can work on things more at home :)

Back