• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Shed For House, How Should I Set It Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barney

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am moving my guinea pigs to my old tack shed. It is about 3mx2m, roughly. I am not sure of the best way to set it up though, should I put a cage inside it and just leave it open or am I best to just have a few houses inside the shed that they can go in when they want? Thanks

I have mine in hutches in the shed. They are left open all day with access to the shed and garden. They only get shut in at night. ;)

Hi and welcome!

A number of members have either cages or a hutch inside the shed for added insulation and for sleeping and they use the rest of the shed as roaming ground.

You may have to think about heat/cold insulation and also about making sure that it is safe from mice and rats etc. as well.

I used to have a piggy shed and mine lived free range in there.

I layed the entire floor with lino followed by newspaper, woodshavings and hay. I had two open hutches, one at each end filled with hay that they would sleep in. I then provided them with plenty of hides and fleecy beds etc.

My shed had a stable door covered with mesh so that in the summer, we could leave the top half open whilst making sure the piggies were kept safe.

In the winter, I would use snuggle safe heat pads to help keep them warmer as well as adding extra fleeces and hay.

It was predator proofed and we never had a problem with rats and mice. It is important you don't allow this to happen and it must be predator proof even if the guineas are in hutches.

Good luck with whether you have them free range or in hutches.

I used to have a piggy shed and mine lived free range in there.

I layed the entire floor with lino followed by newspaper, woodshavings and hay. I had two open hutches, one at each end filled with hay that they would sleep in. I then provided them with plenty of hides and fleecy beds etc.

My shed had a stable door covered with mesh so that in the summer, we could leave the top half open whilst making sure the piggies were kept safe.

In the winter, I would use snuggle safe heat pads to help keep them warmer as well as adding extra fleeces and hay.

It was predator proofed and we never had a problem with rats and mice. It is important you don't allow this to happen and it must be predator proof even if the guineas are in hutches.

Good luck with whether you have them free range or in hutches.

I want to do the same thing with the door, change it for a stable door with mesh. It is mouse proof already, as it was my tack shed and as we live in the country it was very important that nothing to get in to nibble on my tack. I have also always stored the straw and hay for the guinea pigs in there and it has never been touched. But it is something I need to keep on top of! Good idea with the lino. Thanks

I originally had mine free ranging in a smaller shed with a hutch that was opened during the day. I now have them in a bigger, thicker shed but they won't be able to just go everywhere - if the weather is great they will be out in the run with a shelter and if not I will put the run in the shed to link to their hutch so they can exercise.

This just means I can still store other things in the shed (bikes etc) without worrying about the boys getting stuck behind things, eating things etc and it makes it safer when the new cat tries to sneak in if the kids open the shed door :lol!:
of course there is also the space that I need to sit in my camp chair with my coffee for my blether with them too....:))

I am moving my guinea pigs to my old tack shed. It is about 3mx2m, roughly. I am not sure of the best way to set it up though, should I put a cage inside it and just leave it open or am I best to just have a few houses inside the shed that they can go in when they want? Thanks
now they are back in the shed, having been in the house all winter, I also have put their indoor cage up on a shelf over their hutch so that can also also be used as another run when I am cleaning out the hutch below, and it gives them another change of scenery so they can go nuts messing about with boxes etc until night time when they go back in the hutch below.

I have my old office chair in the shed for when I have "furrytime" :))
that would be handy for doing zoomies too!

I am so happy I have them back in the shed now, no more having to ensure all the hay strands, stray poops (how do they do that!) and bits of other piggie paraphernalia are stashed away before teatime - now I am as happy as a pig in shed!

I used to have a stool to sit on in the shed.

Don't get me wrong, I love having them indoors and now the shed is rotten, I would never have them living back outside now I don't need to but I do miss my shed and the space the pigs had.

tonight was the first night I used an extension lead with RCD plug from the house to the shed - and hooked up a lamp and heater just till I got the piggies cleaned out for bedtime and feed - loved being so cosy in the shed - can't wait to get the power installed eventually! Anyone who hasn't tried this should and they will be converted! :lol!:

I have a permanent feed into my shed, its great in the winter when its tipping down and blowing a gale. Snip the door shut behind me, light and radiator on, radio on, and clean the hutches in peace. ;)

yeah, my door couldn't totally shut due to the extension lead but going to get the power in sooner - it was too good to miss - dreaming now of relaxing in there and escaping from the house!

Already have an electric cable ready for the shed when we got the house rewired - just need to get a strip of concrete up to bury the pipe for it and then the rest will be easy peasy sunk below the grass and then straight into the shed.

sorry - back to the original post - I would highly recommend having a hutch that can be closed up at night in the shed as I don't think I could trust my piggies to make sure they were all cosied up and warm enough, and I also would be really upset if anyone broke into the shed and the piggies got out (not that its likely but I am not taking any chances!) :no::)

My buns and pigs are left open during the day, I only lock them in at night. All are secure with the heater on. Neo's bed is on the guinea hutch above the heater, he lets himself in and out via the catflap I've put in the shed wall. The buns also use the caflap, it allows me to close the door on the shed and the buns have full access to the garden. ;)

Mine live in cages inside my shed. The cages are raised off the ground though so I can store things underneath. Pigs go on the shed floor for a day at a time in winter c:
I've always liked the idea of them going free range on the floor, though. With some houses and toys scattered across for them to play with. All weather proof/warm/predator proof of course.

10685797_10152460108091152_663378455573180445_n.jpg 10868093_10152460107056152_8526345064157570712_n.jpg 10906305_10152460107006152_2997409122842067220_n.jpg Mine are free range in the shed and it works fab! They get so much space and I now have a childs chair in there so I can sit and be with them! Good luck with yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back