• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Shed Heaters-cheap to run ones

gingy pig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, i am after a shed heater!
Well, its actually for my craft room that the piggies are overwintering in, its 10ft x 9ft, fully insulated & electric supply. i need a cheap to run heat source that will actually make a difference not just prevent frost- i've looked at Bar Heaters but not sure if they actually make that much of a difference? any other suggestions?

I have a ceramic heater with a thermostat. It keeps my spare room warm at night when my central heating is off.

You might find this an interesting read.

Basically, all electric heaters are considered 100% efficient - that is, the conversion rate from electricity to heat is the same for them all. If some heaters cost more to run than others it will be because they generate more heat energy (so a 2kW heater will be more expensive to run that a 1kW heater because its using twice as much electricity and generating twice as much heat).

If you use an electricity tariff such as Economy 7 then you might want to consider some kind of night storage heater to make use of the cheap electricity overnight, but you'd need to crunch the numbers to see how long it would take you to recoup the higher upfront purchase cost.

Otherwise, I'd look for a heater that's designed to be kept running for long periods and can be left unattended. Something like an oil filled radiator is probably safer than a bar heater as there's less risk of fire if something is accidentally knocked against it or falls on it (like some stray bits of hay!). Ideally get one with a timer and a thermostat so you can control it. The trick will be in getting a heater with sufficient output for your needs. How well insulated is the room? How big is the window? What type of glazing does it have? Is there any heat source already? How cold does it get with the current setup?

(I would suggest that halogen or fan heaters wouldn't be appropriate - they're better at providing a quick burst of directed heat than increasing the room temperature overall)

(Tried to edit to add but left it too late...)

If you do go with an oil filled radiator, my instincts are saying you're better off buying one that's larger than you need and running it at <100% output - that way the surface shouldn't get so hot and, again, the fire risk will be reduced. Running costs will be no higher for the same amount of heat, so its just a slightly higher purchase price.

That said, I believe best practice from a fire safety point of view is to not leave any plug-in heater running unattended. But if you need to heat the space then you need to heat the space and you just need to make it as safe as you can within the constraints that you have.

(Tried to edit to add but left it too late...)

If you do go with an oil filled radiator, my instincts are saying you're better off buying one that's larger than you need and running it at <100% output - that way the surface shouldn't get so hot and, again, the fire risk will be reduced. Running costs will be no higher for the same amount of heat, so its just a slightly higher purchase price.

That said, I believe best practice from a fire safety point of view is to not leave any plug-in heater running unattended. But if you need to heat the space then you need to heat the space and you just need to make it as safe as you can within the constraints that you have.
Make sure you get a heater with a proper thermostat then you can set the exact temperature you require and won't use more electricity than needed.

Yep I use an oil filled heater too. Although I agree with the getting one which is slightly higher wattage than your needs. I also insulate the shed walls, floor and roof to keep the heat in. Works a treat!

I’ve just ordered a oil fill radiator. My dad did some calculations and works out it would cost 6p per hour. It’s one of the cheapest ways to heat with electric heaters. This is the one I’ve gone for. I’ve actually got a low shelf for it to stand on (high enough away from the piggies)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01LY2X0XO

We use an oil filled radiator. It costs a fortune, but it keeps the piggies warm over winter. We have added more insulation to the shed, so hopefully less heat will escape this winter.
My guineas started off in a draughty shed that would have cost a fortune to heat. My solution was to put tubular greenhouse heaters inside their hutches..... And use hutch covers. I had an oil filled radiator so I could heat the rest of the shed up for floor time. I agree that thermostats are a good idea.

There are pictures of my original set up here...

Member Gallery: Hutches

My guineas are now in a insulated shed and my "problem" now is to make sure they get enough ventilation!

My guineas started off in a draughty shed that would have cost a fortune to heat. My solution was to put tubular greenhouse heaters inside their hutches..... And use hutch covers. I had an oil filled radiator so I could heat the rest of the shed up for floor time. I agree that thermostats are a good idea.

There are pictures of my original set up here...

Member Gallery: Hutches

My guineas are now in a insulated shed and my "problem" now is to make sure they get enough ventilation!

I did exactly the same and built a new shed, closing any gaps in the wood, putting insulation in etc and the. Realised ventilation was an issue! What did you do in the end? I’ve just ordered a new shed and asked them to put some vents in so we’ll see how that works.

I did exactly the same and built a new shed, closing any gaps in the wood, putting insulation in etc and the. Realised ventilation was an issue! What did you do in the end? I’ve just ordered a new shed and asked them to put some vents in so we’ll see how that works.
I am happy to discuss this further ....

Do you have a Hive system or remote controlled stats?
my internal heaters are fitted to a a thermostat designed for reptile set ups - ther thermostat has a probe which can be inside the hutch

just like these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microclima...83373&sr=8-2&keywords=thermostat+for+vivarium

( I bought mine from a local shop - reconditioned 2nd hand so,,, they were cheaper than the link )

my oil filled radiators are connected to these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elixir-The...=8-2-spons&keywords=plug+in+thermostats&psc=1

my internal heaters are fitted to a a thermostat designed for reptile set ups - ther thermostat has a probe which can be inside the hutch

just like these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Microclima...83373&sr=8-2&keywords=thermostat+for+vivarium

( I bought mine from a local shop - reconditioned 2nd hand so,,, they were cheaper than the link )

my oil filled radiators are connected to these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Elixir-The...=8-2-spons&keywords=plug+in+thermostats&psc=1

I never knew you could get a timer with thermostat. I really am having a day of discovery.

wow, thanks for all the replys! i have lots to think about- other half seems ok with oil filled,just need him to do the sums and see how much it will be to run one ;-)

Back