Shed help

Engel

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Right, I live at home with my mum but it appears she's allergic to either the pigs or hay. They'll stay indoors until warmer weather in the spring so have until then to get something sorted. By this time I'll know if Oreo is pregnant as she'd have her pups also chunk would've been castrated too if there's no other boars.

Heres my 'to get' list
I know I'll need to insulate it and put something on the floor. As well as a thermometer.
Also making a second door with mesh so I can have the door open in the summer and not worry about the dogs getting in.
A hutch with covers
I'm going to use c&c grids to make a run attached to the front.
Lots of hay
Snuggle safe
Thermal bottle covers
Warm snuggly hides

I'm going to keep some correx and grids to make a smaller cage for when they need to be indoors. (Really cold, really hot, fireworks ect)

Anything else that I need or need to know regarding pigs in sheds?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Multiple snugglesafes are a good idea. I have four between my two
thermal hutch covers are essential.
predator proof - make sure no holes that rats can get in, check it regularly etc
I use fleece as shed floor bedding in summer (only) as it saves on filling an entire shed with hay. I spend enough in hay as it Is!
I actually don’t keep correx for their indoor cage, I just use a plastic sheet as it folds up and is much easier to store than sheets of correx.

Engel

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok. What size hutch am I looking for assuming I'm just having 2 pigs? 4ft minimum? Was thinking of having the hutch door open at all times so they can go into the run when they please.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Ok. What size hutch am I looking for assuming I'm just having 2 pigs? 4ft minimum? Was thinking of having the hutch door open at all times so they can go into the run when they please.
4ft minimum for two sows/neutered boar and a sow.
6ft for two boars.

It’ll be entirely temperature dependent as to whether you can leave the door open all the time - depends if you can heat the shed etc. it may not be suitable to leave them with free access overnight - you’ll just have to see. Mine get locked in at night for security but also during winter nights for warmth. While my shed is always warmer than outside temperatures, it’s far warmer and much easier to keep the hutch warm with the hutch covers down.

Engel

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
4ft minimum for two sows/neutered boar and a sow.
6ft for two boars.

It’ll be entirely temperature dependent as to whether you can leave the door open all the time - depends if you can heat the shed etc. it may not be suitable to leave them with free access overnight - you’ll just have to see. Mine get locked in at night for security but also during winter nights for warmth. While my shed is always warmer than outside temperatures, it’s far warmer and much easier to keep the hutch warm with the hutch covers down.
Ah ok so open the hutch up in the morning to give them the option to come out if they want to. Then close it up at night.

How do you keep the shed cool? As pigs (well pig relations) are native to South America they're better in with the heat than the cold. However, how do you keep pigs cool in summer?

-ventilation
-cool fresh water
- cold bottles of water wrapped in a towel for them to lie next to.
-bring them inside if too hot

Anything I've missed?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Either by keeping the door open, putting them on the lawn, or moving them inside. (and then using any other measures as necessary - cool packs under bedding etc)
My shed is south facing and it’s pretty much impossible to keep it cool when it’s really hot. They moved inside this summer as my shed was between 27 and 42 degrees for two weeks, didn’t even cool down at night. Otherwise, if it is a warm day (too hot for them in the shed but safe enough (temp wise) in the run on the lawn) and I’m home, then they are in the run on the lawn. If I’m not home but it’s too warm in the shed, then I bring them into the house while I’m put, when I get home they go on the lawn and then back out into the shed when cool enough.

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
IMG_1692.JPG
Here's my shed pre a load of work done on it, I had stable doors, that way it was more secure to other animals coming into the garden whilst I'm at work then with fly screen on the top section. I have a stable base, outdoor attached run which allows me to sweep up.

I have mirror film on the windows now too, heating on a timer, additional electrical points for the fridge and anything else I need like hairdryer after a bum bath, and I made sure I had plenty storage under the hutches with plastic roll out boxes.

Engel

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
View attachment 157635
Here's my shed pre a load of work done on it, I had stable doors, that way it was more secure to other animals coming into the garden whilst I'm at work then with fly screen on the top section. I have a stable base, outdoor attached run which allows me to sweep up.

I have mirror film on the windows now too, heating on a timer, additional electrical points for the fridge and anything else I need like hairdryer after a bum bath, and I made sure I had plenty storage under the hutches with plastic roll out boxes.
I think I saw your shed on the shed thread in the stickies. Didn't realize it had stable doors. That'd be a better option for me.

Sorry if I sound thick but what's the purpose of the mirror film?

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I was due to have my new shed months ago but COVID put plans on hold. I am definitely getting my new shed next spring and one of my main requirements for it is that it has stable doors. I currently have a mesh panel which I put in place. Works well but is rather unwieldy!

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I think I saw your shed on the shed thread in the stickies. Didn't realize it had stable doors. That'd be a better option for me.

Sorry if I sound thick but what's the purpose of the mirror film?
That’s alright, the film stops the sun blazing in and keeps it cooler during the summer months, it also stops people nosing in if I’m not there. Since since everything gets locked and is in cctv - it’s pretty secure.