• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Shedding or Losing fur?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've noticed that recently PiePie has been losing a couple of clumps of fur (by clumps I mean a few hairs, maybe 4/5 together, not huge bundles just falling out). It's summer and hot down here in SA right now. Is he just losing a winter coat or shedding because it's hotter? Or is it something else and should I take him to the vet? I checked over his skin and there doesn't seem to be any problem, but you can never be too careful... Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

When we comb Pitch our long haired pig, there is always more hair in the comb during the summer months than the in the winter.
But there should not be any actual bald spots so if there is id take him to the vets.
Have a look at the following website for more details:
http://www.guinealynx.info/

Shedding is normal, some pigs do so more than others, and with it being summer where you are, yes it is possible that increased shedding is noticed. Keep checking that the skin is healthy, a good checkover weekly, looking closely at the hair and skin, is always worthwhile.

Losing hair is not normal e.g. in clumps with flakes of skin attached, hair can be pulled out easily when gently tugged, or to the point bald patches appear or the hair is thinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back