• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Shelf And Ramp In Piggy Cage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florrieberry

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, The cage we bought for our 2 piggies had a plastic shelf and plastic ramp with it which we have never used. As we now have a third and I am needing more space, I am wondering if these are safe to use for piggies (can they fall off the ramp /ledge?) while I research making a C&C cage (thanks to advice of those in this forum) I was debating on trying it fixed just over the pigloo with another bed or food above? Thank you

The plastic ramp is probably not safe to use, but I would try the shelf and see whether they jump up on it. You may want to put a cover and a hidey on it to make it cosier.

The plastic ramp is probably not safe to use, but I would try the shelf and see whether they jump up on it. You may want to put a cover and a hidey on it to make it cosier.
Well I had a go and they didn't use ramp but 2 of them jumped up and down fine, hag a pigloo and food up there, however it seemed to block off more of the cage and seemed to make it more cramped and harder to catch them, so removed it. But C&C is on the horizon, have the correx and panels on the way!

As demonstrated by my gorgeous Tubby img_qKOWtOgDod.jpg I just dug this ramp out I made for my boys, obviously I've just secured it on the outside for demonstration purposes. I removed the fleece cover to give you an idea of how its been put together. Theres a slight bend at the end to suite my cage at the time. I also cut some correx strips to give my boys grip when going up & down the ladder. Its easily secured to the upper level by cable ties.
20150119_195933.jpg

Mine have several wooden shelves which they love hopping up onto, ted even stretches out and naps on one of the high ones. I swap them round for variation and hide little treat bits on them too.

Thanks that's great and so easy to see, I like the idea of the strips of correx, what Did you stick them on with?
Also when it's in cage does it just join the edge of the cage like it is here?
Does your fleece cover just sit on top of the ramp or is it fixed onto it in some way?

Thanks that's great and so easy to see, I like the idea of the strips of correx, what Did you stick them on with?
Also when it's in cage does it just join the edge of the cage like it is here?
Does your fleece cover just sit on top of the ramp or is it fixed onto it in some way?
I used a Hot glue to attach the correx strips, like we used at school in CDT, really quick and easy.

I used cable ties to secure the top of the ramp to the entrance of the loft, exactly the same as in my picture, ensure the cable ties go through the wire grids as well for safety!

The fleece is secured in place with small bulldog clips running down each side (the ones where you can remove the little wire finger grips on each side) you can get them out of the £1 shops in the stationary isle. Probably need 4 - 5 each side.

I used a Hot glue to attach the correx strips, like we used at school in CDT, really quick and easy.

I used cable ties to secure the top of the ramp to the entrance of the loft, exactly the same as in my picture, ensure the cable ties go through the wire grids as well for safety!

The fleece is secured in place with small bulldog clips running down each side (the ones where you can remove the little wire finger grips on each side) you can get them out of the £1 shops in the stationary isle. Probably need 4 - 5 each side.
They don't try and chew the clamp part then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back