• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Shopping List for a New Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

carrot_tit

I'm getting to the point where i'm ready for piggies, i have my cage back and i'm in contact with Starshine regarding re-homing some of her needy piggies, but other than the cage i've got nothing and want to start getting myself prepared. I've put together a very basic list and want people to advise me on what else i need. Here is my very basic shopping list:

Food
Hay
Brush
Bed for when they are out of their cage

Told you it was basic! I know i need shampoo but not sure which and i know i need toys but again i'm not sure which ones are suitable and i don't really trust the ones advertised in petshops cos if they are anything like the ones advertised as suitable for rats half of them won't be.

Any help would be great :)

I would add: (please forgive me if I am adding obvious things but I'm not sure what you have with / in your cage)

Old newspapers
Some bedding
A water bottle
Some Peter Gurney books
A cuddle cup
A tunnel (old cardboard tubes?)

Guinea pigs all seem to like different toys so I think you will need to try a few things with your piggies and see what they like.

I would advise getting a little medicine cabinet set up with all the things that a piggy might need
I'm sure there is a list on here somewhere of useful bits
I dont have much so I cant really advise on that I'm afraid:

Good luck

My piggies all love tunnels and shelves - I've made a shelf in the cage and covered it in towel/vet bed and they love jumping on it and hiding under it. Depending on what you're using as bedding (I use vetbed) my Fudge absolutely loves a corner litter tray filled with fresh hay and burrows away in it popcorning etc. I also have corner houses that they can hide in or sit on top and the corner ones take up less room in the cage. A hanging food ball is good for the more expensive hay or veg.

Gorgeous guineas do some lovely shampoos for grooming (although I've yet to pluck up courage to bath them!) You'll need some nailclippers for their nails, I've just got the little human ones from Boots.

This is quite a good site if you haven't already looked at it for ideas for toys

http://www.guineapigfun.com/index.html and also cavycages http://www.guineapigcages.com/index.htm

Billies Mum said:
I would add: (please forgive me if I am adding obvious things but I'm not sure what you have with / in your cage)

Old newspapers
Some bedding
A water bottle
Some Peter Gurney books
A cuddle cup
A tunnel (old cardboard tubes?)

Guinea pigs all seem to like different toys so I think you will need to try a few things with your piggies and see what they like.

I would advise getting a little medicine cabinet set up with all the things that a piggy might need
I'm sure there is a list on here somewhere of useful bits
I dont have much so I cant really advise on that I'm afraid:

Good luck

Got the Peter Gurney books covered! I think i own three of them! Cage came with a water bottle and a food bowl, although the bowl doesn't look big enough so may have to get another one and i want a bowl for fresh food as well. In our house old newspaper will not be a problem and i was just planning on using hay as bedding.

Is a cuddle cup one of those fleezie bed things for small animals?

Tunnel i'll get with toys. I figure i'll need nail clippers as well. But thanks!

I've seen a picture on here of someone (might have been Abnoba?) who used plastic pipes which looked a really good idea, I'm sure if you search in photos you'll find inspiration, I keep meaning to look next time I'm in B&Q but keep forgetting ::)

Yep, I use drainpipes.. but I couldnt find them in B&Q somehow? Only the small ones for underneath the sink, which are way too small for piggies :(

so I went to the local building supplies and they sold some T-junctions for 20 pound each ? :o

In the end I had my sister send me some from Germany - about a pound each, max. 3 pound each.

vorlagepipe.jpg

If anyone finds a cheap UK shop or website where I could buy more, please tell me!

Someone on here had this great setup with exactly those drainpipes connecting a shed with runs in the garden, so they must be available somewhere...

carrot_tit said:
Told you it was basic! I know i need shampoo but not sure which and i know i need toys but again i'm not sure which ones are suitable and i don't really trust the ones advertised in petshops cos if they are anything like the ones advertised as suitable for rats half of them won't be.

Any help would be great :)

Gorgeous Gunieas do fantastic shampoos and oil soaks. You may want to invest in a brush for grooming (or comb if you go for long haired guineas). Getting a carrier now is also a good idea for vet trips etc.

In regards to toys - mine have a litter tray filled with hay (Kathryn mentioned hers like this as well) so they can bury, play and eat it! I also have pigloos, cuddle cups and one of mine loves Willow balls - though the other 2 are not bothered by them. Generally mine like anything they can hide under or run laps around!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back