• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Short sighted/blind piggy bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrs ord

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

Some of you know that i'm 95% sure that my little Darcy is either short sighted or blind. She gets along fine and its not a problem for her.

I tried unsuccessfully to intergrate her in to my trio with pretty violent results. Butler really went for her and she was hurt. Looking back I really can't decide if it was him or her that started it but it did seem like she went for him first but he was faster and therefore she came off the worst.

Darcy is in a separate cage from the trio but can hear and smell them all the time. Her cage sits on top of one of their two joined caged. Wheter she see's them or not I don't know.

Now the relationship stands as this; Darcy is scared of Butler, Bella is scared of Darcy, Esme couldn't care less and as long as she's left alone she is fine she will defend herself though and is not really scared of any of them. Butler is not scared of any of them but will back off if Esme gets too anoyed with his boyish rampages (he is very excitable and a lot younger than the girls bless) On the whole the trio is perfectly happy although still quite a new bond but all is going well.

Darcy seems fine alone but I obviously wonder if she really is ok on her own. I don't think there is much hope of her ever joining the trio and I think come the summer when the others go outside she will remain inside with me and be my little snuggle pig. She will get outside grass time and not want for anything but I really want a friend or husband for her. OH has obviously said no more (we currently have quite a zoo) I know he's moveable on this though.

Sorry huge post but I thought the more info the better. So what I really want to know is has anyone bonded a blind piggy? Do they need a specific type of friend eg, very laid back and sweet natured? What can I do for the best for my little Darcy? I want her to have the best retirement with me after being a breeding piggy her whole life (she is 3) I want her to be happy x)

I would think the best way to go about it is a round of piggy dating in a rescue that will allow you to. Her choice may baffle you, but if she finds a friend that way, it'll work out. I would think that starting with adult, more laid back piggies or a little baby may be best.

I have a blind piggy who we didn't realise was blind when she came into rescue. She had been used for breeding and presumably was usually either with a boar or having pups. When we tried to cage her with a 'friend' she was really vicious, wouldn't take to anyone and even bit Teresa... then we realised she couldn't see (or hear!). She was fine once she got to know you and very cuddly, but we couldn't see her bonding with anyone else as she was just terrified. However in the end I put her in our large group, who had the run of the 8' x 6' shed, and because she had plenty of space and there was a neutered boar to keep the group in order, she got on really well.

When I moved they had to be split into smaller groups but she still has a 6' hutch which she shares with 2 friends. It's not a group that I can easily add a pig to, as she's still a bit defensive, but she gets on well.

They obviously use their sense of smell more than most piggies, so if they can get used to the scent of the new piggies before meeting them that would be ideal.

Sophie
x

I have a blind piggy who we didn't realise was blind when she came into rescue. She had been used for breeding and presumably was usually either with a boar or having pups. When we tried to cage her with a 'friend' she was really vicious, wouldn't take to anyone and even bit Teresa... then we realised she couldn't see (or hear!). She was fine once she got to know you and very cuddly, but we couldn't see her bonding with anyone else as she was just terrified. However in the end I put her in our large group, who had the run of the 8' x 6' shed, and because she had plenty of space and there was a neutered boar to keep the group in order, she got on really well.

When I moved they had to be split into smaller groups but she still has a 6' hutch which she shares with 2 friends. It's not a group that I can easily add a pig to, as she's still a bit defensive, but she gets on well.

They obviously use their sense of smell more than most piggies, so if they can get used to the scent of the new piggies before meeting them that would be ideal.

Sophie
x

That first paragraph really sounds like the way Darcy was when I tried her wit my group. Unfortunately unlike the girls Butler didn't back off from her :(

Perhaps Darcy can spend a week at the rescue, so she can get used to new piggies without being stressed?

Piggy dating wont really be an option until the trio go back outside. Also I know that my local rescue is very busy at the minute so there won't be time to do bonding for me. I don't really want to move her again either. She had been used by three separate breeders before I got her and the thought of her "living" somewhere else for even a short time is unbearable for me. I want her to know that she is home, safe and not going anywhere ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back