• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Shortage Of Veg?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hennie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I nipped into my local Co-op at lunch time to grab some tommies and by the salad racks they had notices up saying there maybe a shortage of lettuce, broccoli and peppers (and possibly other veg). The notice said they are doing their best to keep stock in but due to wet weather in Spain and across Europe there maybe shortages. Has anyone else seen or heard this?

Imagine having to tell the piggies that their veggies are rationed?!

I always buy my veggies from Tesco, Morrisons, & Sainsburys. If your rich go to Waitrose I swear they pick their veggies every morning.
I would think they have a supply problem because they are a fairly small chain, I have got veggies from them if I've had to, although I don't find them very fresh there.

I read this in the newspaper on Saturday, due to the bad weather in Spain (where apparently a lot of our veggies come from) there might be a problem. :(

I've been struggling to get Romaine from Morrisons over the last couple of weeks... they normally have the biggest and greenest ones... the only other place round my rural area that I can get them are Lidls and Tesco.. but they are usually smaller and less bloomy (think I just made a word up) .... I wonder if this is why?! My pigs always go absolutely mad for romaine! It's their fave.

Just checked my Co-op Romaine and its Spanish, they always seem fresher than the ones we've got from Sainsbury's. I didn't notice any Romaine lettuce today, and they were out of broccoli at the weekend :(. My lovely Mum in law always adds extra veggies to her Sainsbury's delivery for our piggies which I picked up from her this afternoon, so they won't go hungry this week.

Apparently there's a courgette crisis and sellers are considering importing from America. I'm sure my grandad would be giving us a lecture on eating seasonal and not expecting these things year round

Apparently there's a courgette crisis and sellers are considering importing from America. I'm sure my grandad would be giving us a lecture on eating seasonal and not expecting these things year round

.....but try explaining that to guinea pigs who stamp their little paws in earnest at getting their veg as soon as its ready.

I'm finding things a bit trickier at the minute. But it's the first winter I've had piggies so I'm not sure whether the difficulties I'm facing are normal for the area, or worse this year.

ive found it difficult to get any salad veg,no peppers,so I'm just giving what i can,spring greens,and occasional kale.will have to try the city stores if this continues !

I had noticed a general depletion in salad veg in the shops. And a lack of rocket for me especially. Going to have to write a disclaimer or there will be a riot in the piggy room

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back