• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Should I Be Concerned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aimzer

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Whenever I head up to bed I out a fresh pile of hay in for the piggies and Daisy usually comes over and has a good munch but she didn't tonight. She just stayed in her piggy pod. I put some orchard grass hay down in front of the pod and she came out and had a look then went back to the pod without eating any. She did eat a little bit of grape but she didn't take it from me. I had to put it down in front of her and a couple seconds later she ate it.

She has seemed fine today/evening. Eating hay and she ate her veg. Her weight is stable. Should I be worried or am I being paranoid? I wonder if she is just sleepy but i don't know?

I would monitor until the morning and see how she is then. If she is still not interested I would get her checked out. My Millie does this sometimes and I think it is when she is tired, she does tend to eat what I place in front of her though. Does she seem fluffed up at all or have any laboured breathing?

I would monitor until the morning and see how she is then. If she is still not interested I would get her checked out. My Millie does this sometimes and I think it is when she is tired, she does tend to eat what I place in front of her though. Does she seem fluffed up at all or have any laboured breathing?
She actually does look a little bit fluffed up but i compared her breathing to my other piggy and it seems ok

It sounds like something is making her uncomfortable. Could you call the emergency vet for advice?

Aww, I hope she is okay!

I defintely agree, a call to the emergency vet would be helpful if you are getting concerned x

I took her out and she did take a bit of lettuce from me. I have put her back and she is lying down. She seems to like half shut her eyes, I'm not sure if she's trying to sleep and I'm pestering her or if there is something wrong. She doesn't appear as fluffed up.
The vet isn't that great and will probably ask me to take her in. I am worried they give her something inappropriate like they did with my last piggy. if she is not better within the hour I will call them.
My mum thinks I'm being crazy and that she's just tired and I'm pestering her!

I would leave her be and see how she is tomorrow. She is hopefully only having an "off" day.

If things persist tomorrow, switch to daily weighing at the same time to see whether she is losing weight (keeping in mind that the adaily variance can be up to 30g). See a vet if she's lost 50g or more or if there is a clear deterioration or there are tangible symptoms for your vet to diagnose. As your girl is still eating hay and has been eating some veg, I would not panic.

Thanks everyone. I am going to check on her again in an hour.
I have found a better vet around an hour away but their OOH is with a different company. That's what puts me off. So in will definately go to the new vet in morning if she is still the same. or if I need OOH tonight I will use my old vet for tonight and head to new one tomorrow. Jeez it's stressful not having a decent vet close by!

How is she today?
Sorry meant to update but iPad was charging.

I checked on her at 1am and she was eating the hay I put in front of her and she also took some dried forage from me which made me feel better! She took her veg fine this morning and I have seen her eating hay too.
I put her and Maple out for floor time and she did a good few popcorns! I am continuing to keep my eye on her and will weigh her again tonight but hopefully she was just being a sleepyhead last night.

So nice to hear that she has perked up again! It's always a worry when they aren't themselves!

That's great news, was just an off day then hopefully like Millie has.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back