Should I be worried

Mumofboys

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two little brother piggies who are 3 months old. They are lovely and chase each other while popcorning around the cage, and cuddle into each other at night- so I do think they like each other. I have seen them raising their nose to one another but I’ve just left them to it as one tends to run away. However, last week I noticed a nip mark(not too deep, almost like a graze) on the submissive piggies lip. This morning he now seems to have a round mark like puncture mark beside his eye. Should I be worried about this? (Ihaven’t seen them fight). They have a 6ft hutch and have two bottles, two bowls and two hidey holes. Any suggestions or advice would be great. I’ve read some of the boar advice and I’m sure it’s just them sorting out who is top piggie plus a bit of hormones going crazy. However, I really just want to know whether I need to think about taking measures to protect my submissive pig before he gets really hurt.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
First thing to do is to make sure that the bite is clean. You will need to keep a very close eye on them as there shouldn't really be any nipping like that. Make sure all hides have two exits so no-pig can be cornered. Also put in two hay areas.

Have you noticed any more wounds since last week? And when dealing with them, do you maintain their hierarchy and deal with the dominant pig first? Do you have any way of separating them but maintaining interaction through bars/divider were it necessary?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I have two little brother piggies who are 3 months old. They are lovely and chase each other while popcorning around the cage, and cuddle into each other at night- so I do think they like each other. I have seen them raising their nose to one another but I’ve just left them to it as one tends to run away. However, last week I noticed a nip mark(not too deep, almost like a graze) on the submissive piggies lip. This morning he now seems to have a round mark like puncture mark beside his eye. Should I be worried about this? (Ihaven’t seen them fight). They have a 6ft hutch and have two bottles, two bowls and two hidey holes. Any suggestions or advice would be great. I’ve read some of the boar advice and I’m sure it’s just them sorting out who is top piggie plus a bit of hormones going crazy. However, I really just want to know whether I need to think about taking measures to protect my submissive pig before he gets really hurt.

Hi!

Yes, you should worry as that bites should not happen. Please be aware that your dominant boar has turned into a teenager and experiencing the first large hormone spike as his testicles have started to descend. Unfortunately it is a myth that brothers won't fall out. Do your boys have got more than one hut/sleeping place and do they have plenty of space to get away from each other?

Please take the time to read these guides here carefully and bookmark them. You may find them very helpful as they look at all angles and developments in practical detail. I can't repeat in one post what has taken me days to write.
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars
Boars: Teenage, Bullying, Fighting, Fall-outs And What Next?

Mumofboys

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Thanks. I have a double storey 6ft hutch that has one dark area with two hidey houses in. The pigs won’t go down the ramp to the bottom floor but if I have to separate them it would be easy enough to do.

Mumofboys

New Born Pup
Reaction score
First thing to do is to make sure that the bite is clean. You will need to keep a very close eye on them as there shouldn't really be any nipping like that. Make sure all hides have two exits so no-pig can be cornered. Also put in two hay areas.

Have you noticed any more wounds since last week? And when dealing with them, do you maintain their hierarchy and deal with the dominant pig first? Do you have any way of separating them but maintaining interaction through bars/divider were it necessary?

I have cleaned the area with some salty water and it looks nice and clean. I will be sure to keep an eye on the wound and pig for any signs of infection.

The dominant pig always comes over to say hi and when I’m feeding I always give him a treat first. He is also first to go in the cardboard tube to be moved to their exercise pen.

today I put both pigs on the bottom level of their hutch for some exercise and the submissive pig worked out how to go upstairs. After a few minutes there was a lot of squeaking from both pigs. I let them settle before helping the dominant pig up the stairs.
I have read the posts and they have been really helpful. I just wasn’t sure how bad a nip had to be before separating them. I think I will just need to monitor them over the next week or so and hope that they settle.

the dominant pig is is quite something! he is the smaller of the two 😂