• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Should I bond a dominant boar or let him be?

Bradshaw Piggies

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
So, after we lost Thor’s brother Loki last week, I’ve successfully managed to bond Thor with little Odin (he’s been really accepting of him)!

it’s just Stark who his on his own. He’s in the middle enclosure so he can see Thor and Odin through the bars on his left and Rocket and Banner through the bars on his right. They regularly communicate nose-to-nose through the bars and lie next to each other.

Stark is an extremely dominant piggie. Hence why he had to be separated from Odin when Odin was poorly. He’s quite aggressive (teeth chattering, persistent humping, grumbling etc). But not an unhappy pig - he’s always popcorning and eats well etc.

so I’m wondering if it’s best to just let him be? let him live alone but in the middle of the others?
Or does he need a friend? I worry a lot about introducing a new pig because I don’t want to end up with another single male if it doesn’t work out? I can’t have females as I have 5 boys and it would cause chaos!
Should I let him just be? Or should I be thinking of attempting to pair him up?

I would attempt to pair him up if you have the means etc. A rescue will be able to help you find him a friend - it may take a few goes but being dominant isn’t an issue. He just needs to find someone he likes and who likes him.

Having a live in friend is obviously the best option, but if you choose not to, then he isn’t going to be lonely with neighbours either side. If it was me I think I’d try to find him a friend. If he is very dominant, then it may take a few tries at dating at a rescue, but I feel if would be worth trying. If he doesn’t take to anybody then at least you know you tried

So happy for you! Hope it all goes well and they're the best of friends :) Could you have tried bonding them before bringing him home, or is that the plan?

Back