Should I bring both my piggies to the vet?

Alfie/Piggles

New Born Pup
Reaction score
The other day we had to take mr Piggles to the vet for an abscess on his chin. We took him by himself, and left Alfie at home. I was wondering whether next time either of them have to go to the vet for a problem, should we take them both to help calm them and save one of them being home alone, or not to save extra stress?

Alfie/Piggles

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I always take both my boys when one has an appointment, they always snuggle up together in the carrier. I think it’s definitely worth taking both x
Ok, will definitely take them both next time! Thankyou for the suggestion, my piggies snuggle up in the carrier when we take them both somewhere too 😍🥰

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Ok, will definitely take them both next time! Thankyou for the suggestion, my piggies snuggle up in the carrier when we take them both somewhere too 😍🥰
I know a lot of forums have said they take both too, less stressful for both if they stay together :) I hope mr piggles is recovering well x

Little Ones

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I think I differ from most people as I don’t usually take both. Little and Honey were a nightmare to transport together, Little was very dominant in his youth so would always get at Honey if they were too close so they only went together when it was necessary. Even then, Little used to prefer sitting on my lap on the way to the vets. If he didn’t sit on my lap the way there, he’d be shaking like a leaf once in the consulting room. As he’s got older he does better, I still allow him to go in and out of his crate as he pleases but now he generally prefers to stay in there and eat his hay, unfazed. He still tries to bust the carrier door open with his head though if it’s not open for him, lol. He goes for his incisors burring every 3 weeks, so it’s a good job he doesn’t mind the vets anymore. But Little and Honey never went to the vets together if just one of them needed it.
When Little and Peanut were together I think I took them both for a lot of appointments. Most of their vet trips were to the guinea pig dentist in Northampton and so since the journey was so long, and they usually both needed to see him, they went together. I believe Peanut only went there on his own once. He went to the regular vet on his own twice I believe and both were emergencies (one of which resulted in his death, unfortunately).
I think it can depend on the piggy to be honest. When Little and BB were together, I took them both when BB needed the vet as BB was petrified so needed a paw to hold.
Little is now with Digby and both boys are confident and comfortable and aren’t anxious at all so I probably wouldn’t take them both if one needed the vet. Not also that, but with how things are at the minute with the vets, they are very similar in description. Little is grey and blonde and Digby is black and blonde so I wouldn’t want there to be confusion on which pig is which.
With BB and baby pig (name still to be determined) they’re both as scared as each other so I have no idea what I’d do in that situation! Maybe I’d take BB if baby pig needed the vets but if it was BB then I might take only him and provide him comfort on my lap on the drive there.
If your piggies are comforted by being with each other, there’s no harm in taking both. In fact, it’ll probably be better for them. I think it’s down to character dynamics and what the piggies prefer

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
they are very similar in description. Little is grey and blonde and Digby is black and blonde so I wouldn’t want there to be confusion on which pig is which.
This is an issue I have with with my female pair of rabbits. They look the same - I can tell them apart now but explaining to the vet which one is which is fun! Luckily when they both go to the vet the week after next, they are both being spayed so while the vet will still need to determine which one is which, they do both need the same operation at least!

Free Ranger

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They look the same - I can tell them apart now but explaining to the vet which one is which is fun!
I'd be tempted to snip a bit of fur off one bunny - if that's not a sacrilegious suggestion!
One of the baby group mums used to paint a nail on each twin in different colours as they were very identical and dad used to insist on dressing them the same. It made me wonder how many twins actually did grow up with a different name to the one they were given originally. When your own mum can't tell you apart what hope is there for the rest of us!
Do bunnies do nail varnish or is that even worse than a bald patch?!

Little Ones

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This is an issue I have with with my female pair of rabbits. They look the same - I can tell them apart now but explaining to the vet which one is which is fun! Luckily when they both go to the vet the week after next, they are both being spayed so while the vet will still need to determine which one is which, they do both need the same operation at least!
The only vet trips we’re doing at the minute are Little’s upper incisor burrs at a local vet as he has no bottom incisors, he goes every 3 weeks. They come and collect them from the car park, it’s usually a college student on placement who comes to collect them and the animals seem to go in a queue inside rather than be seen straight away. I know it’s obvious that it would be Little who is having the teeth doing rather than Digby, but if information isn’t relayed properly and they think there’s only one piggy in there, they might grab Digby and just start burring his teeth. Then we’d be off to see Simon! Not worth the risk! We were nervous the first time about taking Little away from Digby as he had major fear aggression issues due to being all alone for 5 years during their bonding but he didn’t mind it at all which is good. I’d have been worrying if I had to put them both in the carrier for Little’s burrs if not.
Luckily your rabbits both are having the same thing so it doesn’t matter as much if they get mixed up. Hopefully they don’t though! Some rabbits can look totally identical, can’t they? I haven’t seen many though to be honest. When I got my first piggy, the pet shop suggested we get a rabbit to put with him (we didn’t, thankfully) and so we spent some time looking at the little bunnies and they looked exactly the same!

Alfie/Piggles

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I agree - always take both. Mine never go anywhere without each other. I don’t even take them from the hutch to the run separately!
I always take both too :)
And there's always the chance that they'll check over the companion for free 😉
I know if I was a vet I wouldn't be able to resist getting an extra cuddle
Ok, will definitely take them both, as they are quite close and do cooperate in a little carrier. Thankyou for all your help! Haha we like a good freebie

Alfie/Piggles

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I think I differ from most people as I don’t usually take both. Little and Honey were a nightmare to transport together, Little was very dominant in his youth so would always get at Honey if they were too close so they only went together when it was necessary. Even then, Little used to prefer sitting on my lap on the way to the vets. If he didn’t sit on my lap the way there, he’d be shaking like a leaf once in the consulting room. As he’s got older he does better, I still allow him to go in and out of his crate as he pleases but now he generally prefers to stay in there and eat his hay, unfazed. He still tries to bust the carrier door open with his head though if it’s not open for him, lol. He goes for his incisors burring every 3 weeks, so it’s a good job he doesn’t mind the vets anymore. But Little and Honey never went to the vets together if just one of them needed it.
When Little and Peanut were together I think I took them both for a lot of appointments. Most of their vet trips were to the guinea pig dentist in Northampton and so since the journey was so long, and they usually both needed to see him, they went together. I believe Peanut only went there on his own once. He went to the regular vet on his own twice I believe and both were emergencies (one of which resulted in his death, unfortunately).
I think it can depend on the piggy to be honest. When Little and BB were together, I took them both when BB needed the vet as BB was petrified so needed a paw to hold.
Little is now with Digby and both boys are confident and comfortable and aren’t anxious at all so I probably wouldn’t take them both if one needed the vet. Not also that, but with how things are at the minute with the vets, they are very similar in description. Little is grey and blonde and Digby is black and blonde so I wouldn’t want there to be confusion on which pig is which.
With BB and baby pig (name still to be determined) they’re both as scared as each other so I have no idea what I’d do in that situation! Maybe I’d take BB if baby pig needed the vets but if it was BB then I might take only him and provide him comfort on my lap on the drive there.
If your piggies are comforted by being with each other, there’s no harm in taking both. In fact, it’ll probably be better for them. I think it’s down to character dynamics and what the piggies prefer
I think my piggies would be better of going together, because they are always together. They have been in a carrier together before, and cooperate pretty well, and if they’re nervous they’ll snuggle up together which is quite cute! I’m sorry about Peanut, I’m sure he was looked after well, and reckon he really loved you. Thankyou for your advice! :D

alpacasqueak

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I used to take Poppy the chin by herself for teeth files, mainly because of them being pretty much nocturnal compared to pigs and didn’t want to stress Pedro too. Simon and Kim both commented on how much better/calmer she was just having her brother in the carrier even just next door when he started joining her too! (Obviously we travelled in taxis and on trains too so very stressful all round!)
With the ratties I took the whole group! Four bucks, then my buck trio! Far less troubles and angry sniffs when someone smelt different, especially with the less dominant guys.

And with my piggies I’ve always taken their buddy, unless it’s a sad trip to the Bridge etc. I’ve always found them to be so much less stressed having a friend to cuddle and moan to about us meany humans tormenting them!

Alfie/Piggles

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I used to take Poppy the chin by herself for teeth files, mainly because of them being pretty much nocturnal compared to pigs and didn’t want to stress Pedro too. Simon and Kim both commented on how much better/calmer she was just having her brother in the carrier even just next door when he started joining her too! (Obviously we travelled in taxis and on trains too so very stressful all round!)
With the ratties I took the whole group! Four bucks, then my buck trio! Far less troubles and angry sniffs when someone smelt different, especially with the less dominant guys.

And with my piggies I’ve always taken their buddy, unless it’s a sad trip to the Bridge etc. I’ve always found them to be so much less stressed having a friend to cuddle and moan to about us meany humans tormenting them!
Ok, Thankyou. Haha us meany humans 😂

Scooter Pie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I came here to ask this same question. Stress of car ride or stress of being home alone for a few hours?

Looks like I will take both. In separate carriers, but the sides are mesh so they can be right next to each other ✨