Should I Expand Or Leave It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarnivalPiggy

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Goodness me I've been browsing the forum for a while but email problems interfered with logging in.

Anyway, the guineapigs (two girls and neutered boar) now have a 2x6 with a 2x2 loft and I am wondering whether to make it a 2x7 still with the loft, but I'm afraid it will crowd my room. They were in the shed but they came inside a long time ago, and the only place for them is my room. It's lovely to see them so active, especially one of the girls, Teddy who had always been so lethargic. Here's a picture ^_^. It's just the end of the cage, but it shows the room I have left to put it. Should I get rid of the bit that holds all stuff at the end and add the extra grid or leave it? My room is a little small and I don't want it to crowd opening the door. Thanks :]

Attachments

• image.webp
    image.webp
    195.7 KB · Views: 18
There is no need to expand it, but they always say bigger is better, if you feel comfortable expanding and the cage taking over (you have to accept it at some point lol) then go for it!

Thanks! For now I'm going to leave it, but I'll be doing a mind map in my head about shuffling furniture around to make the cage as big as possible, hehe.

Hehe, that's always true. I've thought on some occasions to give the guineapigs my room and start sleeping on the couch downstairs, but I'm pretty sure my family wouldn't appreciate that!

Ha! I'm sure we've said before why don't we move out and just leave the flat to the pigs! But hey, maybe not so good :p

I saw this picture online earlier of a whole piggie village.. Dream on!

Hehe, free-ranging would be a joy. :D

That sounds like heaven. I saw something on Google images where it showed the guineapigs having a bunch of rooms to themselves. I'd have to shuffle though!

Well clearly they are in charge! :p I'm worried they'll nibble the cable for the Internet if I let them loose in here :p maybe when we have a bigger plaxe..

Aren't they all :D

When I let them out I put grids or this pen thing up to block any wires. :} Thankfully they don't attempt too anyway - except when Minja sees the pellet bag I put on a chair, the others gave up but she went on strong to try and get them!

If the piggies are happy, I would leave the cage as it is. 2 x 6 is plenty of room for 3. I you want to expand,why not go sideways instead of lengthways? Make it a 3 X 5. That is if you can adjust the base.

I can fiddle with the base, but my bed is right next to them and I'm not sure how to move everything around. I do like the idea of a 3x5, so I'll see what I can do. ^_^

I would only expand if you can create room somehow. I was just saying in my threat that I used to have a bigger cage and I've downsized a bit, because there just wasn't enough space to move around between my rat cage and my huge C&C. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for giving my animals as much space as possible, but as everyone said, your cage is more than big enough. It was frustrating me that I couldn't reach anywhere to clean properly and stuff. Much prefer my pet room now that I've downsized slightly.
Also, with a 3x5 you may struggle to reach the back if the cage.
Just a couple of things to keep in mind... :-)

No, I see what you mean. :}

I liked the idea of a 2x7 but at the moment it would be really claustrophobic. I'll have another look at what I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back