• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Should I get a friend for my guinea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anna

Hi,

I would really appreciate some advice from all you experts.

I had guineas as a child but have been guinealess for many years. A friend mentioned she planned to emigrate to New Zealand and I jumped at the chance to give her two guineas a new home. Last week the wonderful day came and we became G.P. owners. One guinea had sadly died a month ago but Peta a four year old female is all ours now.

We think Peta is a bit subdued, she never makes noise or moves about much. Is it the heat? Is she lonely? Should we get a new female friend for her?

Thank you in advance.

Anna, Peta & family.

Hi and welcome to the forum Anna! :)

I ain't no expert - just have a bit of experience ;D

I think that Peta may be grieving at the loss of her companion. Piggies do this like we grieve for the loss of someone. That's why she's quiet.

I think another sow (female) would be great company for her.

xx Kelly xx

Hi,

Thank you so much for your help.

Wondered if she might be missing her owners too, is this possible?

She has the same cages, run, food etc. We are different (obviously) and wondered if she needs to settle in before we introduce another sow?

Anna.

Of course she misses them, poor love. But now she has a lovely new home ;D

I agree with Kelly - a new friend would be good. And lucky you get to go guinea-hunting! ;D

Hi There,

Welcome to the forum Anna :)

As Kelly has already said, guinea pigs defintely grieve when they lose a friend. Some piggies grieve more than others too!

Perhaps check out the local rescues for a female pig to put with your piggy and when introducing them together, make sure that it is in a neutral environment such a new hutch or cleaned out hutch (so that no smell of only Peta is around making her territorial!)

I hope that others on here can offer some ideas and advice too!

Thanks again for joining us! :D

Ellie

Oops, I forgot to say welcome! I was so excited at the thought of a new guinea!

Are there any rescues near you you could look at?

HI Anna,

Welcome to the forum.

Definitely not a happy piggy. My Freddie was the same when Jacques went to the vets for a long time. Very stressful for them when they have been use to having a partner. have you thought about introducing a baby sow with Peta?

Michele

Anna said:
Wondered if she might be missing her owners too, is this possible?
She has the same cages, run, food etc. We are different (obviously) and wondered if she needs to settle in before we introduce another sow?
Anna.

It's possible that she is missing her old owners, but more likely that she is missing her companion. Guinea pigs are sociable animals and when their companion dies they get lonely.

I don't think she needs any more time to settle in and re-adjust. It's more the fact her mate has gone. :)

xx Kelly xx

Hiya welcome to the forum, My boy Zubin lost his buddy Rudi before christmas this year and changed so much he didnt talk and hid all the time he just didnt want to know so we got him a baby boy and he changed so much he talked and was so different then sadly his second buddy Griff died and it sent him down hill again but now hes happy with his new boy Eddie and hes a completly happy and contented piggie i would say that a friend would do wonders for you girl but Having not had a sow i really dont know if this is the same for them, good luck with ti x

Welcome to the forum Anna ;D

Totally agree with everything already said, she will be a different girl once she has a new friend :)

Bev x x

Hi Anna

Welcome to the forum ;D

I agree with what the other girls have said and lucky you getting to go choose a new piggie.

Love
Claire

Hi,

Thank you all so much. I am overwhelmed by all your replies. I have been so worried. Will let you know if we find a friend for her.

Love Anna and Peta.

Where abouts are you from? We might be able to point you in the right direction if you do decide to get another piggie :)

Hi,

We live in North Derbyshire on the border with Sheffield. We have no idea where to look for a 'rescue guinea' or even a 'shop guinea'. We have a P.A.H. but every fish we ever bought from there has died!

We would travel an hour or so to get the right friend for Peta.

Love Anna and Peta. x

I can't help as I don't know the area. However, I'm sure someone will be able to help ;D

You could do an internet search to see if there are any rescues nearby, or have a look on the rescue board on the forum in case there is one listed

DERBYSHIRE
Holmes for Rabbits/Chapel Rabbit Rescue
High Peak, Derbyshire
Tel: 01298 814337 / Email /

RSCPA Derby & District Branch
45 Abbey Street, Derby, Derbyshire, DE22 3SP
Tel: 01332 344620 / Email / Website

RSPCA Chesterfield
137 Spital Lane, Chesterfield, North Derbyshire, S41 0HL
Tel: 0870 770 5071 / Website

pet shops:

Renishaw Tropicals
5, Emmett Carr Lane, Renishaw, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S21 3UL
Tel: 01246 432039

Pets Station
2, High St, Dronfield, Derbyshire S18 1PY
Tel: 01246 418447

or just look on www.yell.com

welcome to the forum.
i also agree. but wouldnt age also have to do with her not being active?

Age certainly would slow her down a bit, but it's probably more the fact that she is lonely

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back