• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Should I get another Guinea Pig?

Clarebear43

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm new to this forum. We have a 3 year old female Guinea pig called Gingernut. We originally bought her with another girl who we believe was her sister, they were bonded and very happy together. Rosie unfortunately passed away at Easter and unfortunately due to the whole lockdown situation we were unable to look into getting another piggy at the time. Gingernut has been alone for all that time and seems quite content, she is handled lots and eats well. Because we had left it so long I sort of thought I wouldn't get another but my neighbours had babies in March and have since had another lot of babies and have asked if we would like one from this or the previous litter as, as much as they would like they can't keep all of them. Basically I'm now not sure wether I should try her with one of the older ones born in March or a younger one or if I should just let her be. I am worried about her being lonely and it saddens me but worried we may cause more stress by trying to introduce another. Any advice would be much appreciated please x

Please do get your Gingernut a friend. They’re very social animals and need constant companionship of their own kind. You’re better off taking her to a rescue so she can choose her own friend. Being character compatible is more important than age. Have a look at the rescue locator and get in touch with them.
Rescue Locator
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

Please do get your Gingernut a friend. They’re very social animals and need constant companionship of their own kind. You’re better off taking her to a rescue so she can choose her own friend. Being character compatible is more important than age. Have a look at the rescue locator and get in touch with them.
Rescue Locator
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Thank you for replying I am just waiting for a local rescue to get back to me but the others local to me have none avaliable for rehoming. Would you advise trying with a baby or slightly older friend if we had to go down that. Route? Sorry to ask. Thank you x

Just wanted to say that I hope all goes well with your search for a friend! :luv:
Because she's alone currently I don't think age of the friend would matter too much, especially if you get a neutered boar, but I'm sure someone more experienced would have better advice on this!

Just wanted to say that I hope all goes well with your search for a friend! :luv:
Because she's alone currently I don't think age of the friend would matter too much, especially if you get a neutered boar, but I'm sure someone more experienced would have better advice on this!
Thank you 🙂

Hope all goes well in your search for a companion for Gingernut.
It sounds as if you are a very caring owner and lockdown has made finding companions for bereaved piggies so difficult.

Welcome to the forum and we love pictures
Ahh thank you 😊

Thank you for replying I am just waiting for a local rescue to get back to me but the others local to me have none avaliable for rehoming. Would you advise trying with a baby or slightly older friend if we had to go down that. Route? Sorry to ask. Thank you x
Liking each other is more important than age. The rescue should be able to help your girl find a friend.

Thank you for your advice everyone. We are off to meet a little retired girly from a breeder this week. She is roughly the same age as ours so keeping our fingers crossed they like each other 🤞🤞🤞

I’m probably going to sound negative, but experience of retired breeder sows is that they often come with undeclared health problems. Please be sure to maintain full 14 days quarantine before attempting any introductions and also get the new sow health checked by a vet.

I’m probably going to sound negative, but experience of retired breeder sows is that they often come with undeclared health problems. Please be sure to maintain full 14 days quarantine before attempting any introductions and also get the new sow health checked by a vet.
Thanks for the advice. Yes we will be very cautious and will get her checked out if it all goes ahead 🤞👍

:agr: If you do go ahead, Make sure you quarantine in a separate room and don’t introduce them to each other at all. Also book in for a vet check soon as possible if you take her home.

Back